Flywheel magnet source

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Vtmtber
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Flywheel magnet source

Post by Vtmtber »

jeswinehart, I have an 87 kdx that needs the flywheel repaired. One magnet is broke and the other three that look to be ok are all loose. is this something you can repair? is your repair a permenant fix? Let me know what the cost is and how to contact you direct. Thanks in advance!!
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

Yes I can repair and yes I consider it a permanent fix against loosened magnets.

PM sent. Thank you, john
Vtmtber
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Flywheel magnet source

Post by Vtmtber »

I recently had my flywheel with one broken magnet and three loose magnets repaired by jeswinehart. I can't say enough on how happy I am with the repair job he did on my flywheel. I was racing a vintage hare scramble when my Kdx started making some strange noise. I was able to nurse the bike to the finish and rode back to my truck. Pushing down on the kickstarter at that point was like finger nails on a chalkboard. When I sent the flywheel to jeswinehart he couldn't believe the bike even ran. I guess I was super lucky that no other damage was done to the ignition. I was aware of this potential problem with my bike but didn't take the time to remove and inspect my flywheel. I now have a flywheel thats good to go!! The repair job by jeswinehart looks great! The communication throughout the repair was excellent and a quick turnaround. I would highly recommend him for anyone in need of a flywheel repair.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the report.

To the OP, are you thinking that Freddette is using new magnets? I am thinking that he has a few bad ones that have one or more magnets that are still good, and he is using the used magnets.

He has been providing parts new and used for KDX's since the late 80's. I bought stuff from him back then when it was W, L & J Enterprises. (Wayne, Linda and Jeff... Dad, mom and son)

He repaired my electronic tripmeter around 1989.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

Thank you for the props Vtmtber

john
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flywheel magnet source

Post by jeswinehart »

These took awhile to get but worth the wait :)
Attachments
20170329_174432.jpg
20170329_174432.jpg (765.88 KiB) Viewed 8572 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

VERY NICE! :shock:
Blackflame444

Post by Blackflame444 »

So has anyone located a source for new magnets yet for
the 1986 - 1988 KDX200. I'm kinda surprised China hasn't started mass producing them yet as they are currently marketing tons of other old bike parts on eBay. Maybe I should try to submit request to some.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.

Sadly, jeswinehart passed away. His wife has some magnet for Tecates. I know he repaired Tecate flywheels, as she is selling the magnets on eBay. I don't know if they work for a KDX or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Replacement- ... 3450800118

Another option is to get a later model rotor and then have the stock stator plate holes slotted to allow it to match up with timing. A few on here have done it. There are a few threads on it. Use the search function to look in the air-cooled section.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I have confirmed with her that they will work for a kdx
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh, wow. Thanks for letting us know. I looked around on here, and I was not certain that they would. I signed up on 3wheelerworld where he was a member.

Apparently, someone sent him a core for rebuilding that turned out to be for a 1986 - 1988, which led him here during his research.

kdxsully, do you know if it was 1986 - 1988 KDX200 only, or did they work on any other older models?

Thanks again.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I can’t say for sure, but I can say that the 83-85 flywheels are suspiciously similar. Maybe a slight timing change is the only difference? Who knows if anyone would ever have both at the same time..
I like turtles
Blackflame444

Post by Blackflame444 »

Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing magnet location/north south orientation on 1986 KDX stock flywheel? Another question. If I hold a compass near inside u shaped portion of magnet and get a North reading would that be a North magnet? And a South magnet with a South reading? Or is the polarity based on back/glued side of magnet? My flywheel has little raised stops inside that I'm guessing is for magnet placement. I just need to understand polarity reading using compass and polarity placement orientation to keyway.
Blackflame444

Post by Blackflame444 »

Also KDX Sully, Thankyou much for magnet source You provided!
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Blackflame444 wrote: 11:24 am Feb 19 2020 Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing magnet location/north south orientation on 1986 KDX stock flywheel? Another question. If I hold a compass near inside u shaped portion of magnet and get a North reading would that be a North magnet? And a South magnet with a South reading? Or is the polarity based on back/glued side of magnet? My flywheel has little raised stops inside that I'm guessing is for magnet placement. I just need to understand polarity reading using compass and polarity placement orientation to keyway.
I’d buy a real magnet with a true N/S on it. I’d also wait until I had the new magnets in hand to discern which is which, in case they aren’t labeled. If they repel, it goes there. There’s a hand drawn diagram in the listing that shows magnet orientation for the tecate flywheel. It’s the same as a kdx but the the keyway and timing marks are in a different spot.
I like turtles
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

It's really none of my business, and of course you can do what you want but... I'm genuinely curious why on earth you would go to all this trouble rather than do the fairly simple stator mod with the newer flywheel... solving the flywheel magnet problem forever?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Well, isn’t it next to impossible to truly get the timing spot on with that mod? I know it’s a lot of trial and error. Just gluing in new magnets and slapping it back on. Mine has re glued magnets and never gave me a problem
I like turtles
bob_jones

Post by bob_jones »

I've never heard anyone say there was a problem with timing and "spot on"... what's that for an engine like this? We're talking about a degree or two, or fractions of degrees in timing do very little on an engine like this. I have adjusted it on mine. It never seemed to affect much. Some, but not much.

"Lots of trial and error" is in the eye of the beholder. I've done three of these mods and they've all been up an running within few hours. So I guess it depends on the person.

The peace of mind knowing there'll never be another magnet come loose has a value too.
But anyway, it sounds like you're saying the logic is that finding and affixing magnets is better for timing and less trouble but equally durable. So you answered my question. Good luck
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bob_jones wrote: 07:54 am Feb 20 2020 I've never heard anyone say there was a problem with timing and "spot on"... what's that for an engine like this? We're talking about a degree or two, or fractions of degrees in timing do very little on an engine like this. I have adjusted it on mine. It never seemed to affect much. Some, but not much.

"Lots of trial and error" is in the eye of the beholder. I've done three of these mods and they've all been up an running within few hours. So I guess it depends on the person.

The peace of mind knowing there'll never be another magnet come loose has a value too.
But anyway, it sounds like you're saying the logic is that finding and affixing magnets is better for timing and less trouble but equally durable. So you answered my question. Good luck
You’re right. But you’ve gotta know how to do timing or just know when the engine is running the way it’s supposed to (many people don’t-it’s kind of intuitive). As far as time goes, that epoxy needs a day or two to set completely.
I like turtles
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

Blackflame444 wrote: 11:24 am Feb 19 2020 Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing magnet location/north south orientation on 1986 KDX stock flywheel? Another question. If I hold a compass near inside u shaped portion of magnet and get a North reading would that be a North magnet? And a South magnet with a South reading? Or is the polarity based on back/glued side of magnet? My flywheel has little raised stops inside that I'm guessing is for magnet placement. I just need to understand polarity reading using compass and polarity placement orientation to keyway.
Well, it just so happens I took pictures before I re-epoxied mine. A bit hard to tell in the photos, but the magnet that goes on the same side as the keyway has its south face facing in towards the center. The next one has its north face facing in towards center. The next one (opposite keyway) has its south face in towards the center. And the last one has its north face in towards center. In other words, you have two different magnet types - two with the concave face as their North pole, and two with the convex face as the North pole.

I tried to attach the photos, but it's not working and I don't have time to deal with it right now. I'll try to post them up sometime soon.

One note, this flywheel is off of a bike that had good spark, but I've never actually ran it - still a work in progress.