Flywheel, run it or take it off and inspect it??

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Vtmtber
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vtmtber »

I've read all the info on the magnets coming off the flywheel and destroying the stator on the 87 Kdx 200. The bike I recently bought seems to run fine and the bolts on the engine including the flywheel cover look like they have never seen a wrench. I'm torn if it should just ride it and hope for the best with the flywheel or if I should remove the flywheel and inspect?? Does removing the flywheel tend to loosen the bonding of the magnets? I don't mind taking it off but I don't want to cause an issue where there may not be one.
hbgod

Re: Flywheel, run it or take it off and inspect it??

Post by hbgod »

Dont use an impact to take it off and you should be fine. Also be careful removing it. I bought a parts motor from a guy who when removing the flywheel it shot across the garage.... not sure how. I used a steering wheel puller and just found bolts that thread into the flywheel. You can also buy a rebuild kit from ricky stator. search the forums i posted it here.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX Geoff »

Personally, with the reputation these bikes have for throwing magnets, l consider their secure attachment to the flywheel is something to be regularly checked.

This is off my 200 and the blue you can see is the magnet that l got loose last year. I pulled it off last week for no reason than to see if l could get any magnets to come off by hand on a sunny day in the comfort of the shed.

One came loose after a bit of effort and l reglued it this being a far better option than having a magnet dislodge at 5000 rpm in some remote location and having to repair the subsequent damage.

The last thing l need in front of my Honda and Yamaha riding mates is a break down :grin:
tymes

Post by tymes »

I agree with Geoff, just last weekend at a Vinduro I was stopped on the side of the track while my friend was kicking his dead KDX250 when an IT rode past calling out "Let the Good Times Roll" all over a fouled plug :naughty:

Anyhow I use later model flywheels on my little 200s the magnets cant come loose from the later flywheel but it needs a new keyway filed through it which takes a while to do. It is also a little heavier than the original which suits the type of riding we do at Vinduro.

Another friend of mine who has a couple of 250s has filled the area between the magnets after re-bonding them.

Neither of us have had any trouble since, the cost of replacing the coils is almost as painful as pushing the bike home.

Defiantly check them, only remove it with the correct puller which costs bugger all off ebay, You need to remove the retaining bolt and take off the washer and then screw the retaining bolt partway back in then install the puller to get it off.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

I also agree to (properly ) remove it for inspection.
If you do a little looking around at my postings ,,,, it might give you some ideas about encapsulation of the magnets .
If I can be of any help,,, please feel free to PM me.
john
Vtmtber
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vtmtber »

Thanks for the info, I ordered a puller today.
Vtmtber
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vtmtber »

So I bought a puller that fit the flywheel(the one I had was to small of a bolt pattern for the Kdx). I just tried removing the flywheel and its on there very tight. I've pulled flywheels before but I'm always nervous about it. I had the puller secured so the flywheel wouldn't turn and a breaker bar on the puller nut, nothing budged. Any tips on removal? The last thing I want to do is cause any damage, especially when the bike runs as it is. I do want to check the magnets to see if any are coming loose but don't want to ruin anything in the process, that would defeat the purpose.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I helped a friend remove his, it took a few nights but here is what we did. First we sprayed it penetrating oil, and put the puller on it. Then every night after work, we would spray it again and turn the puller 1/2 a turn more. Repeated this for four nights and it popped off.
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX Geoff »

It's going to be tight.

I load the puller and give the flywheel a couple of sharp taps on the curved part.

I'm removing the flywheel to check for and secure loose magnets so if one comes loose because I've tapped it sharply (not smashed with a sledge hammer :naughty: ) then mission accomplished :grin:
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

I used a steering wheel puller on an extremely rusty flywheel. Came off with almost no effort.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Risky! No way I would hit an air-cooled KDX flywheel with a hammer! :blink:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX Geoff »

Jason wrote:Risky! No way I would hit an air-cooled KDX flywheel with a hammer! :blink:
Neither would l :grin: Tappity tap tap tap

I updated the 200 with a 250 tank for extra capacity, disc and 43 mil forks and a brand new Stilmotor rear guard (fender).
Went on a 125 km (78 miles) vinduro on the weekend, The bike was great :grin:
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

Yeah, if you hafta whack something,,, tap the end of the puller bolt + retighten.
impact to magnets de energizes them as well the high risk of cracking them.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

Also when putting the bolts in flywheel to secure what ever type of puller only thread them in the thickness of the steel housing.
Any farther in and you might damage the coils that are inside. Not a lot of clearance inside a mounted flywheel.
tymes

Post by tymes »

you take out the centre bolt remove the washer and screw the bolt back in, keep it backed off the flywheel a few turns and then put the puller on.
The bolt in centre of the puller will butt up against the inside of the flywheel if you try to pull it with the securing bolt taken right out.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Old thread, but my flywheel doesn’t wanna come off. 84 motor, so I have to use a steering wheel puller. I’ve tightened it as much as I’m comfortable with, and I’m gonna try the penetrating oil and patience method to see what happens. I’ll report back my results...
Last edited by kdxsully on 10:12 pm Jun 08 2019, edited 1 time in total.
I like turtles
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

HA. HHAHA. Use penetrating oil. I let it sit for a few minutes and literally turned the puller another 1/16th of a turn and it popped right off. What fun.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

5 minutes, patience of a saint. :-) Congrats on getting it to come loose.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 04:02 pm Jun 08 2019 5 minutes, patience of a saint. :-) Congrats on getting it to come loose.
Guess I was just a bit too careful. Didn’t want to break a flywheel that’s practically worth its weight in gold 🤷🏻‍♂️
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh, heck no. SUPER careful is the way to be! They are a bit fragile.