KDX200 C3 Road Kit Questions

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

Hi all, just a few questions about the road kit which my KDX originally had fitted.
My bike has been used off road for some time before I got it so all the road kit is missing.
What was fitted originally? I know there is a headlight and shroud and tail light.
The headlight switch is fitted to the bars yes?
Brake light?
What about the speedo and odometer?
Ignition switch?

Thanks Mike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX200 C3 Road Kit Questions

Post by KDXGarage »

Hopefully, someone from the UK can help. In the USA, we only got dirt only KDX's. :oops:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, your best bet may be to pop into a dealership and have them pull it up on microfiche/online if you want to stay OEM. If not there are plenty of ways to rig street legal lights/turns.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The KDX weren't road legal in the UK ( 80`s early 90`s ) due to at the time having plastic fuel tanks (which were illegal in the UK), no brake lights , speedo, ignition switch etc...only sold as `off road` machines, unless it was the SR version which had metal fuel tank, indicators,ignition switch etc etc.. The 1990`s saw things change & some dealerships would register them for road use however when it came to M.O.T time, some 3 years later the bikes would need the above to be required to be ridden legally on the hi-way...the kdx only came with a single fitment headlight ( no hi beam just on-off switch ) tail light with no brake light, no horn,no speedo just a mileometer....if your bike is registered & you want an MOT then you can have what they call a daytime MOT ..remove your front & rear lamps ( no need to have a brake light if these are removed ) you must have a working horn either off the bikes charging system or fit a mountain bike battery horn from Halfords..road legal tyres ,endure f.i.m stamped are fine..you don't need a speedometer for MOT but you will if stopped by the police out on the road..you wont need indicators or a mirror as the bike did not have these when it was first made...the UK m.o.t law is weird..if it didn't have it when new then that's ok, if you have them fitted after then they must work. You can remove the lights for the daytime mot or wire up a full lighting kit with hi-lo beam, working horn & stop tail light, working speedometer & the switch gear for the lights/horn mounted on the handle bar as I have done making my 220 fully road legal. :grin:
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

Thanks, that's cleared a lot up!