1986 drum brake conversion

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
scott mcgourley

Post by scott mcgourley »

I have a 1986 kdx 200 with stock 43mm forks and a disk brake. I need to convert that to a drum brake in order to run in Evo class hare scramble. I have a front wheel off a 1983 kdx 200. However, the 1983 forks were 38mm and have a block to hold the brake drum. What is my best option. I can buy a 1983 set of 38mm forks with the triple clamps or weld up my 1986 forks to work. Does anyone have any input?
sarrant

Re: 1986 drum brake conversion

Post by sarrant »

Get the 1983 forks/trees -- bearings are listed as the same, so you should be able to make it work, even if it requires some minor adaptation.

It'll be cleaner, completely reversible.

It is also more in the spirit of the racing class, which is important in historic classes. You are already running a "cheater" powervalved bike -- the less later spec things you run, the less grief you will have with other riders and officials.
scott mcgourley

You don't think the 43mm forks are better then the 38 to justify keeping them?????

As far as legality goes, it is perfectly legal and accepted in this class so long as your bike is pre 1988 and has drum brakes and is air cooled. Nothing else withstanding. It is not vintage.

Thanks
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

scott mcgourley wrote:You don't think the 43mm forks are better then the 38 to justify keeping them?????

As far as legality goes, it is perfectly legal and accepted in this class so long as your bike is pre 1988 and has drum brakes and is air cooled. Nothing else withstanding. It is not vintage.

Thanks
Aside from missing the drum stay, does the wheel fit properly?
scott mcgourley

Wheel mounted up good, so just made a stay plate that screws into where the disk brake attached......Good to go and get to keep the 43mm.

Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Very nice. You'll like that setup.