Shock Rebuild

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Gonzo

Shock Rebuild

Post by Gonzo »

Hi, Hoping someone can help me. My 1981 kDX175 rear shock is buggered. I removed it and it seems an original Kawasaki shock. My question is can this be rebuilt or is there a good value aftermarket shock that will fit?
Thanks.
Gonzo

Shock Rebuild

Post by Gonzo »

Is anybody there...... :shock:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shock Rebuild

Post by 6 Riders »

Call a motorcycle suspension tuner and ask them. They might just tell you to buy a new shock or they could tell you that rebuilding is the way to go. I use LT Racing in Port Orchard, WA. He (Les) is very honest, he could have replaced the good parts in my forks, but there was no need, so he saved me more than a $100 in work and just stated it as it was. He has stuff shipped to him all the time, so if you like, you could package up the shock and send it to him, or find a local guy to do the work.

Link: http://www.ltracing.com/
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Works Performance or mabe Race Tech for a new shock. The stock is not rebuildable in the normal, modern manner.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Thanks for the replies, I got a new secondhand KYB shock from a guy in Utah. Its in good condition with good damping and i believe it's rebuild-able. Its fitted now but i have more woes as i ran the bike before doing it up but now i came to start it the piston jams at the top of the bore. I can only assume its seized but i don't know how. Will have to strip it and take a look.