KDX450... want to add a battery?

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

I recently purchased a '82 KDX450 (more details in the forum intro section). The KDX will be converted to street use and thus I am interested in the possibility of adding a battery to the electrical system. My reason is that I'd like for the lights to remain operational if the engine should stall. I feel this would benefit both convenience and safety.

I have already sent emails to RickyStator.com and Baja Designs with this question. But I also thought I'd see if anyone here has direct and specific experience with a 450 lighting system.

All feedback and comment are appreciated.

Julian

PS- since I am new to this bike, I'd also be curious if there is anything specific (potential problems, etc.) about the 450 that I should be aware of? Thanks.
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

Although I dont have a KDX450 I do have a 80 PE400 that the previous owner added a battery to. It has a 6v system but does not produce enough to charge the battery with the lights on. I have to ride it with the lights off to get it to charge. Then while riding it the lights will gradually go dim. You may want to look at some of the Australian vintage enduro sights and see if someone can post a schematic of a KDX from there. I believe they were street legal with blinkers and may have run an extra coil on the stator. That is how the PEs were overseas.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX450... want to add a battery?

Post by Roadhazardguy »

You'll want to look up the lighting coil upgrade how-to then rewind your lighting coil with 18ga magnet wire, float the ground, and add a regulator/ rectifier. Then you can add a 12v battery and swap over to 12v lights, and add blinkers, horn and what ever else you might need.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R