Shifty Shifter

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shifty Shifter

Post by dfeckel »

Alright, folks, I'm reaching out for a little help in figuring out my shifting woes on my '87 KDX 200.

This is the basket case bike I picked up for chump change and then rebuilt. I split the cases to clean everything up before reassembling with a new top end. I also replaced the stripped shift shaft with a good used item.

My problem is that when shifting, the shift lever will sometimes not return fully to the middle position, especially with down shifts. I have to nudge the shift lever back to the middle position before I can grab another gear. It doesn't take much effort at all to do; just a light nudge with the toe of my boot brings it back to the middle, and then I can shift to the next gear. I've been riding around the problem, making sure to nudge it back after every shift. This mostly works, unless I need to drop several gears quickly. Then it becomes a bit of a liability.

I suspected that the springs in the shifter mechanism were getting weak, so I bought all new OEM springs (two small ones, and the large "clothespin" spring). There was no improvement. The shift lever isn't binding against the case or anything. The replacement shaft does not appear bent, and it moves freely.

Any ideas?
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Shifty Shifter

Post by scheckaet »

tried a different oil?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Shifty Shifter

Post by dfeckel »

I haven't tried any different oil. I use the cheapest motorcycle-specific 10-W-40 I can get at the dealer, which lately has been Suzuki branded.
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Shifty Shifter

Post by scheckaet »

i'd try a different oil and see how it goes.
my kdx likes the cheap automotive oil, however my DRZ hates it. I would find neutral when i didn't want it, would not find it when i wanted it...switched to the recommended oil and the problem was gone.
just saying, this might do the trick.
jgas

Post by jgas »

I used transmission fluid in an 89 KDX and it shifted much smoother and I found neutral less often. I have also used trans fluid in later DXs and a 92 KX 500 with no problems.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I can't see 10w binding up the shift return spring. Did you check the little step collar that centers the paw on the shift shaft? A likely culprit, if its backwards or not seated correctly...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk now Free
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As Julien said, check the shaft collar to ensure its facing the right way. Might also check the gear set lever/spring and make sure everything there is binding free.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shifty Shifter

Post by dfeckel »

I forgot to post up my solution. I fixed this a few months ago by replacing the shift shaft. I still don't know exactly what the problem was, but something was up with the shift shaft. Maybe it was for a different year, or the teeth that engage the shift star thingee were worn. A good used shift shaft fixed it up, though.
David Eckel