Parts interchange

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
jeopardy98

Parts interchange

Post by jeopardy98 »

Do any of the parts from an E series work on these bikes? How about the engine, bodywork, and wheels etc?
2004 SV650N
1992 KDX200
Frysk

Parts interchange

Post by Frysk »

I don't know if any parts are interchangeable but as far as I can see by comparing some pictures I think the cylinder of an air cooled version even may fit a E series engine.. I can't measure anything because I've never seen an air cooled KDX in real life.. not even a KDX except mine for a mather of fact :shock:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Parts interchange

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. I have some experience with a C model and an E model. Without major work, a liquid-cooled engine and radiator system is not going to work on an air-cooled motorcycle.

Besides a front fender, I doubt any plastic will swap over.

The 1989 - 1992 KDX200 front wheel may work.

Most parts will not work, as it is a completely different model.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parts interchange

Post by kawagumby »

The H model and E model forks and wheels will bolt right up. There's not much advantage using E model forks and brakes, but the H model gives you cartridge forks and a dual piston, floating-rotor front brake (I don't know if the C model master cyl will work well with the H model brake cylinder). The H model forks are slightly longer (3/8" maybe?) but not enough to cause a problem. H model forks and wheels are easily found as many folks don't use them after a USD conversion. I have 2 sets of H model forks and two wheels (w/o rotors) I don't know what to do with lol...they're like new.

You can do a USD conversion to a C model also. I just completed installing an 04 YZ250F front end on my 87 KDX. You can use the stock 87 steering stem, but I opted to use an H model stem because it uses a nut on top rather than the cap-bolt design of the stock 87. The C model stem is slightly shorter than the H model stem, but not by much...the bearings are the same.

I also installed a rear disk brake using a 2001 KX125 wheel (shares the same hub/brake diameter as the H model) and the rear disk caliper from an H model. For the master cyl I used a late model yamaha with the integrated reservoir so I wouldn't have to worry about mounting the separate reservoir the H model uses.

Two reasons for using the KX125 wheel over an E or H wheel; ebayer's are greedy when it comes to KDX rear wheels, they want way too much for junk - the 09-2002 (at least) KX125 wheels share the same hub and rotor size and go for half as much. I actually prefer the 19 inch wheel in this case, as I'm going for as much weight loss as possible, and the 19 in tire/wheel setup is a little lighter than an 18 inch setup.

You can use later model chain buffers to protect the swingarm behind the countershaft sprocket - you need to drill and tap new threads in the swingarm to match the different screw mounting locations of the later models - not a big deal if you already have the swingarm off for maintenance.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.