Question on removing flywheel magnets

Discussion specific to the various air-cooled KDX models sold in the USA
Kipsy

Question on removing flywheel magnets

Post by Kipsy »

Hi, all.

I’ve recently purchased a non-running 87 that lost a magnet and destroyed the magneto. Miraculously, I found an 87 flywheel and magneto on ebay the following week. So now I want to secure the magnets so that my new flywheel and magneto don’t self-destruct.

The magnets are tight on the flywheel and I can’t move them by hand. As I see it, I have two options:

1. Heat the flywheel to loosen the epoxy and somehow gently pry the magnets off. Then re-epoxy. I found this method of removing magnets in an online forum, but I don't know how much I believe in it. Maybe there is some other method for removing magnets.

2. Leave them alone. I've read on here somewhere that if you can’t wiggle them by hand, let them be.

Thoughts on this?

By the way, the chip on the side of one of the magnets I think won't affect how it works, but it points towards being removed incorrectly, dropped on the floor, or something else rough.
Attachments
Flywheel.jpg
Flywheel.jpg (629.92 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Question on removing flywheel magnets

Post by bufftester »

I would leave them alone if you can't move them by hand. Likely do more harm than good trying to remove them just to put them back on again
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

May he RIP, but there was a gentleman that used to fill them in, I believe. He had some posts around 2016. He had found somewhere to make magnets that he sold.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kipsy

Post by Kipsy »

Yeah, I think I read on here about that fellow - having the magnets made up and re-epoxying things up better than before. I remember he had removed a log of magnets from KDX's and Tecate's.... I think? I had noticed that his posts were quite old. I just figured he lost interest in fixing flywheels. I'm sad to hear he's passed.

His posts and a few others had me thinking about fixing up the magnets better than they currently are - heading off the problem in advance. But without hearing from someone who has done it successfully, I'm not going to try it.

Bufftester said what I my gut has said all along - it seems foolish to break something just so you can fix it.

Thanks guys for your input. I'll run what I've got. If the flywheel grenades, I'll just do the newer KDX mod and learn how to time an engine.

-Adam
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think his name was J Swinehart maybe.

I would read all around the internet and see how others have done their old flywheels. It is not a problem unique to the KDX, I think.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128