1990 Kdx tire recommendations for sand

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Pak713

1990 Kdx tire recommendations for sand

Post by Pak713 »

Hey everyone. After not being on a bike for over 20 years I bought two kdx’s. One for my son and one for me. Mine is a 1990. We live in Michigan and have a place in northern Michigan as well. That’s where we do all our riding. The trails are deep sand. Some of the trails are deeper than others. I’m looking for recommendations for a dedicated sand tire for the rear. Not a paddle though. The biggest issue I’m having is being new with bikes is what size can I run? Recommended size? The size that’s currently on the rear is a 100/100-18. I’ve looked online and can’t seem to find that size in a soft sand tire. I can find 110-100-18 or 100/90-18. My son and I have both learned to keep our weight more over the rear and keep the rpm’s up. That has helped tremendously but I’m wondering if a tire will help even more. Neither of us have had any accidents thus far but kinda want to avoid them at all cost. I’m not getting any younger lol and he’s really timid on the bike. I like the bikes but just want to be more comfortable with them and not have to not take certain trails because the sand is so deep.

Any help is appreciated.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1990 Kdx tire recommendations for sand

Post by SS109 »

I run only 120 width rears on my KDX but even a 110 is better than the stock size in sand. Wider tires just naturally stay on top of the sand easier.

Are you riding only sand or a mix of sand and other terrain?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As SS says you can run up to a 120/100-18 on the KDX with no issue. I have run the Dunlop AT81 Enduro and had good performance in mud/sand and decent tire life. The do make the Dunlop MX14 Geomax Sand but I have never tried it, but should be good frr mixed terrain with lots of sand.
Pak713

Post by Pak713 »

It’s all sand up there. Thus far the bikes have lived up there. There isn’t many places for us to ride down by home. The trails close to our cabin are more of a mix of light sand and dirt but about 2 miles up the trail turns to thick sand.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I ride sand but maybe only a 1/4 of most rides so my tire requirements are much different than yours. Probably the best advice is to talk with others that ride the Michigan sand to get their input. The North region section over a TT would be a good place to research and get some recommendations https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/37-north/

That said, looking at RMATV's offerings, only two options stand out that aren't full on paddle tires, the Dunlop MX14 and the Hoosier ST1, and both are $120+ and I have no experience with either.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Pak713

Post by Pak713 »

Ok. I’ll look over there. I appreciate the advice y’all have given me thus far. I have had the Dunlop mx recommended to me but I wasn’t sure about sizes.