91' KDX 200 temporarily loses power

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
BIGSHOW3781

91' KDX 200 temporarily loses power

Post by BIGSHOW3781 »

My son keeps telling me that he has no issues starting, idling, or warming up..But wile he's basically cruising down the road in 3rd..not really gettin on it much(still learning) he starts to loose power, tries to regain by checking throttle/down shifting.
Nothing..comes to a stop, can't get started again...push home. So, I get home later and get on go out come back like nothings wrong....then hes able to have no issues for a while after also. Till the next time??? Has this happened to anyone else? And how did you stop it...spark/fuel/carb/filter have all been checked and nothing seems wrong?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 91' KDX 200 temporarily loses power

Post by SS109 »

Check that the fuel is flowing from the petcock. Also, sometimes the fuel vent on the fuel tank cap doesn't let in air so the tank vacuum locks. You could also check that there is nothing blocking the petcock inside the tank. You could also check to see if the float is sticking or some dirt is clogging the main or pilot jets.

After that we get in to electrical. These show up once the engine and components are up to full temp. Either the ignition coil, CDI, or source coil could be shorting once warmed up. The only time you can test these is when the loss of power is actually happening.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 91' KDX 200 temporarily loses power

Post by bufftester »

Yes, check the cap vent line first and then fuel delivery as SS109 said. After that its chasing 30 year old electrical parts, never fun but not really that difficult.