How does the clutch disengage?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
GreekKdx

How does the clutch disengage?

Post by GreekKdx »

Hello guys. First time posting and even though my ride is the EU variant I know for a fact that the clutch assembly is the same with the E series. I took mine apart to check for wear after having to replace the kickstarters return spring that broke. However even after reassembly and some test rides that went great I can't wrap my head around how the damn thing works. What does the pushrod push? Is it applying more pressure to the already tightened spring bolt plate and if so how does that disengage the clutch? Bike is working great but not understanding what I did to get it to work is scaring me a bit. Thanks in advance :grin:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: How does the clutch disengage?

Post by Slick_Nick »

I know on the H series the clutch is designed kinda "backwards" from most clutches, in that the inner hub is inserted from the outside of the clutch pack, and the pressure plate is mounted inside, and actioned open by the clutch pushrod pushing it in towards the engine. Adds an extra piece compared to most traditional clutches, which is probably why Kawasaki went away from that design in the mid 00's.

Most "modern" clutches have a pushrod that lifts the outer pressure plate off of the pack from the inside.
'00 KDX 220R