Weird 1991 exhaust valve issue

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
wfoerk

Weird 1991 exhaust valve issue

Post by wfoerk »

Hi all, yeah, a strange issue with my 1991 kdx 200 exhaust valve. This is a bike that was a basket case I'm fixing up. I put the KIPS valves in the cylinder (fresh Powerseal job on cylinder, steel exhaust valves, new o-rings in KIPS parts), and they all work great until I put the cover on the front exhaust valve. When I tighten the front cover, the KIPS system binds to the point it won't move. I'm sort of lost here and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance-
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Weird 1991 exhaust valve issue

Post by Slick_Nick »

Are the bolts too long?
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I'll guess you don't have the center valve lined up on the teeth correctly. It has been a long while since I did one, but getting it lined up was a bear for me.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
hi-def

Post by hi-def »

I followed the excellent instructions in the thread linked below for making sure the KIPS valves were installed and timed correctly

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=15320
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

wfoerk wrote: 04:36 pm Feb 13 2022 Hi all, yeah, a strange issue with my 1991 kdx 200 exhaust valve. This is a bike that was a basket case I'm fixing up. I put the KIPS valves in the cylinder (fresh Powerseal job on cylinder, steel exhaust valves, new o-rings in KIPS parts), and they all work great until I put the cover on the front exhaust valve. When I tighten the front cover, the KIPS system binds to the point it won't move. I'm sort of lost here and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance-
I have the same issue, did you figure it out?