Rear caliper bleeder - stripped threads!!

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
harvesters01

Rear caliper bleeder - stripped threads!!

Post by harvesters01 »

1989 kdx200 project bike

Rear caliper bleeder threads stripped on removal. Can I use a bleeder repair kit? What is the best option for repair? New caliper doesn't appear to be an option.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rear caliper bleeder - stripped threads!!

Post by bufftester »

If the threads in the body of the caliper stripped, then a bleeder repair kit will work if you can find the right size. Helicoil repair would work as well. Best option depends on what your ability level is.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Weld it up and re-tap it is the "proper" way to do it.
'00 KDX 220R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Need someone who knows what they're doing if you weld it, you don't want to damage or deform the bleed screw seat in the bottom of the caliper. You could also just weld it shut and install a banjo bolt bleed screw assembly. Again, just depends on your ability/patience/wallet
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

If it were me I would secure it to my drill press table and VERY carefully drill it for a helicoil. You would need to use a bottoming tap or grind a standard tap to work. You might get lucky and have a solid repair.

If you don’t have a helicoil setup for this size you’ll probably spend around $30 for a kit. If it were me I would apply that money to buying a used caliper and a rebuild kit.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I would not helicoil this. It’s a bleeder screw. It needs to seat against a taper in the bottom of the bore. How’s it going to do that with the helicoil tab in the way?

Use a time-sert maybe. But I would just weld it and re-tap.
'00 KDX 220R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

The tab can be removed from a helicoil but I’m not actually recommending this. It would just be one option if he is determined not to replace the caliper. Welding it up would be an option but only if you can drill it perfectly straight back into the valve seat and not damage the seat while it’s welded. Either way it’s a fairly difficult repair. My suggestion would be to buy a used caliper, rebuild it, and hit the trails.
harvesters01

Post by harvesters01 »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I elected to go with a used caliper (super hard to find) and forgo the pain of trying to repair it.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

There were a couple of the correct calipers on EBay a few days ago and I was going to send you the links but they’re gone now. Keep watching and one will show up.

Rebuild kits are readily available so you might want to get one on hand for when you get the caliper. As long as you have some time and your rear system is apart you may want to service your rear master cylinder as well if you haven’t done it for a while. It’d be a good time to replace the pads tidy up the rotor as well.