rims

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
1989kdx

rims

Post by 1989kdx »

ok so im looking to rebuild my bike ground up into mx and im looking for matching front and rear black rims its a 89 200 also what parts are exchange able from 95-04 i think it is that will fit on the 89
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: rims

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Thank you for joining us.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not a lot of interchangeable parts between the E and H series bikes. As for building a KDX to purpose built MX, you'll need to beef the front and rear suspensions, which still won't address the frame geometry which is a bit twitchy compared to MX bikes. The suspensions will need revalving and respringing as they are way soft for the track. You can lace new rims to your existing hubs if you really need black rims, no KDX wheel sets were ever produced in black. IMHO if I were going MX only, I'd sell the KDX and find a newer, clapped out MX bike and refurb it instead. Not saying it can't be done, but it will never be great at MX, and building it for the track will hurt its trail riding characteristics. But good luck and welcome!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Any number of good used MX bikes for less than you’ll wind up spending to convert your kdx.
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

Hello I have a 1993 kdx200 and I’m looking for rear rim I found a warp9 an excel and a KKE in the same size 18x2.15 36 spoke but they are all telling me the rim won’t fit but they all don’t have an answer why it won’t fit.. can anyone tell me why they telling me this? What could be different since the sellers don’t know lol
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Decoy wrote: 05:38 am Dec 10 2020 Hello I have a 1993 kdx200 and I’m looking for rear rim I found a warp9 an excel and a KKE in the same size 18x2.15 36 spoke but they are all telling me the rim won’t fit but they all don’t have an answer why it won’t fit.. can anyone tell me why they telling me this? What could be different since the sellers don’t know lol
Are you saying rim or wheel? A rim is just the outer hoop. A wheel includes the hoop, spokes, and the center hub. Sorry, being technical as I know most incorrectly call a wheel assembly, including manufacturers, a rim.

The rim (hoop) will fit if you lace it to your stock hub. The wheel will not. Reason being is axle diameters and sprocket/brake disc spacing are different than the KDX. That said, you can make almost anything work if you're willing to modify whatever it takes to fit it and have the cash/skill to do so.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

Yes just the hoop.. I hear what your saying that’s why I was so confused .. so like I thought the hoop is the hoop.. I was gonna order it any way after talking with them but I figured I get another opinion just incase I’m loosing my mind lol
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Here's a pic of my Warp9 rims mounted to a '90 KDX rear hub and a '96 KX125 front hub. I built these for mt '90 white/blue KDX in my signature. Now these same rims are on my '98 KDX 220 with offset adjustment.

IMG_4439small.jpg
IMG_4439small.jpg (193.07 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

Those look amazing man