Right Side Crank Seal

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Retired2L8

Right Side Crank Seal

Post by Retired2L8 »

I've seen some discussion of this subject but hoping someone can definitively help me out.
I'm in the process of reassembling the engine on a 1992 KDX200 and based on my passed experience with other brands, the right crank seal should be installed to seal against the gear oil entering the crankcase. However, with the KDX, photos I've seen and a bit of discussion I've found seem to indicate otherwise, with the seal spring towards the crank.
It seems this seal, since its not a double lip one with springs inboard and outboard, would be compromised no matter the direction its installed, with the spring outboard, losing compression on down stoke, or with it inboard, pulling transmission oil to the crankcase on the up stroke.
I have a repair manual for the bike but it gives no information on this. Can anyone help me out?
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Right Side Crank Seal

Post by Molly's 70 »

The solid face of the crank seal faces outside. So I guess that puts the spring facing the crankshaft. Grease the ID of the seal w/ high temp grease, before installing the crank. My factory manual clearly shows orientation on page 7-2.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Retired2L8

Post by Retired2L8 »

Yep, I see it. Photo wasn't real clear to me and with no instruction in the manual that I could find, I just wanted experienced confirmation.
Now I can carry on. Appreciate the help, thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I sometimes look on eBay to check parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-KAWASAKI- ... Sw1hJcEtfH
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Retired2L8

Post by Retired2L8 »

Oh yeah, good resource. Problem is any time I go near eBay, there is just always something I can't leave without.
Thanks again for the help.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

One must always consider the Budweiser factor when shopping on Ebay.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.