kdx front brake gone after wheel removed

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
rob the snail

kdx front brake gone after wheel removed

Post by rob the snail »

Guys... i put a new tyre on my front wheel, 91 kdx200SR and when i put it back on the bike the front brake has no pressure, goes all the way to the bars...now i am no rookie, done heaps of wheels off and on in my long motocycle life and i just cant figure out what i done wrong...i pulled it of and inspected the hub for the speedo, all lined up
pads havent moved..inever touched the lever when the wheel was off. its got me stumped
ben990

Re: kdx front brake gone after wheel removed

Post by ben990 »

I have 2 1991 KDX 200's, and a couple times when I put the front wheel back on, the brake pads get hung up on the pins, and they exhibited the same problem you are seeing. Pull the front wheel and make sure the brake pads are not caught up on the guide pins.
rob the snail

Post by rob the snail »

ok ben. your saying they have moved on the pins, should i spray some wd40/crc on the pins?
rob the snail

Post by rob the snail »

yeah you were right ben, and the front lever was a bit bent inwards so i put a new one on..presto all good now cheers
bazwalton
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bazwalton »

I know this post is a few months old and you got sorted, but for anyone else, and future reference, what happens is the outer pad (which is just placed into the slotted area for it) twists and when you put the wheel back on, the pad closes the piston into the caliper. Now the piston is too far into the caliper and all squeezing the lever does is move it forwards and backwards a small amount, too far from the rotor.
The fix is to take off the caliper from the fork leg, align the pads and then squeeze the piston out until the pads are just wide enough for the rotor to slip between. Bolt up and squeeze the lever. Pressure will be back.
https://www.facebook.com/Classic-Mann-952895831458690/ Kdx racing and restoration.

Kdx175x5 Kdx200x4 Kdx220x2 Kdx450. Kdx200AF.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the tip!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128