Power Valves replacements

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Power Valves replacements

Post by SS109 »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:27 pm Jun 30 2020If you can spare a few dollars more, ask the plating company to just buy the piston kit from them. They will make sure it has the proper amount of spacing between the piston you buy from them and the cylinder they replate.
That's what I always do unless there is just a certain special piston I want that they don't carry. Then I just purchase the piston beforehand and send it in with my cylinder so they can match the bore to it.

Just be forewarned that they don't normally set the ring end gap so you might have to do that yourself. If you supplied your own piston you would have to do it as well so not a big deal. I just know I've had one were they have set it and all the others they did not.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ccdsg

Post by ccdsg »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:27 pm Jun 30 2020 cyclepedia for a manual

people on eBay must have the special gold plated version

If you can spare a few dollars more, ask the plating company to just buy the piston kit from them. They will make sure it has the proper amount of spacing between the piston you buy from them and the cylinder they replate.

If you want, post up pictures of other parts of the bikes. We like spending other people's money on repairing dirt bikes. We don't spend a penny, and never get greasy. LOL
I don’t mind spending money. It’s not something I’m flipping, I bought it so my dad would have something to ride with me. Good idea on the piston head I’ll call tomorrow. I’ll get you some more pictures, but the carb and the jets were clean, cosmetically the bike looked really nice. It was spraying oil out the exhaust and a lot of oil around the topend in general. He was running 32:1 but I use 40:1, I cleaned the silencer and repacked it as well. It was super saturated. That’s about all I got as far as anything I’ve observed and addressed. It wasn’t starting unless it was warm, not even while running it so now we’re at the top-end being rebuilt.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you have a quality oil, 40:1 will be fine for general trail riding. I wouldn't try it gunning it up sand dunes in the summer. but for general trail riding, it is fine.

Cometic is a very popular gasket brand.

Thanks for refreshing a KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ccdsg

Post by ccdsg »

KDXGarage wrote: 08:18 pm Jun 30 2020 If you have a quality oil, 40:1 will be fine for general trail riding. I wouldn't try it gunning it up sand dunes in the summer. but for general trail riding, it is fine.

Cometic is a very popular gasket brand.

Thanks for refreshing a KDX.
It’s gonna be really fun to ride it when I get to. I use maxima premium2 2 stroke oil, my dad always ran it in my RM, and his blaster and I still use it. The gaskets I ordered were moose racing.