Rear Hub/Axle Maintenance

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
brademan76

Rear Hub/Axle Maintenance

Post by brademan76 »

Hi all, time for new tires. The bike is relatively new to me and has the tires on that came with it. I went to pull the rear wheel, not positive I followed the correct procedure as I tried to pull the axle out, but that thing was damn near stuck in there! I had to put a punch in the end and persuade it out with a heavy sledge.

I'll clean the axle as much as I can, but should it be that difficult to pull?

How can I tell if the bearings in the hub need replaced? They do turn (not seized) but they aren't butter smooth either...

Thanks!
JL4049

Re: Rear Hub/Axle Maintenance

Post by JL4049 »

If the bearings are not butter smooth then they are usually stuffed. The rear axle is a neat fit through the bearings so any dirt build up or surface corrosion will make it bloody tight to remove.
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

JL4049 wrote: 01:19 pm Jan 03 2019 If the bearings are not butter smooth then they are usually stuffed. The rear axle is a neat fit through the bearings so any dirt build up or surface corrosion will make it bloody tight to remove.
Thanks for the input, but what do you mean by "stuffed"?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If it's a new to you bike just replace the wheel bearings (front and rear). It's cheap, fairly quick and they need to be done routinely anyways. Judging by the difficulty you had removing the axle they are probably the OEM ones, so change them. Take a scotchbrite pad to the axle to clean it up and coat it generously with some mollyB or waterproof grease when reinstalling.
Then check your linkage and swingarm bearings, these are the most neglected bearings on these bikes.
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

Thanks, bufftester!
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

Stuffed = Buggered, tired, worn out, No longer fit for service 😊
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

Thanks guys, it was an easy day replacing those bearings. They weren't the OEM bearings, so that was good to know. Need to do the fronts and the linkage/swingarm bearings too.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You should definitely check the swingarm and linkage bearings. People are notorious for not maintaining them properly.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

KDXGarage wrote: 02:25 pm Jan 21 2019 You should definitely check the swingarm and linkage bearings. People are notorious for not maintaining them properly.
I wanted to say the same haha the swingarm pivot sucks worse than the axle to be stuck imo. The bolt on the frame for the linkage rocker...now thats a fun one to get out when its seized in there! Between the bikes I've bought and the ones my friends buy, I lost track of how many we've gave up on and cut out :doh:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

brademan76 wrote: 12:41 pm Jan 03 2019 Hi all, time for new tires. The bike is relatively new to me and has the tires on that came with it. I went to pull the rear wheel, not positive I followed the correct procedure as I tried to pull the axle out, but that thing was damn near stuck in there! I had to put a punch in the end and persuade it out with a heavy sledge.

I'll clean the axle as much as I can, but should it be that difficult to pull?

How can I tell if the bearings in the hub need replaced? They do turn (not seized) but they aren't butter smooth either...

Thanks!
I am of the opinion that if a roller bearing suffers a massive side load such as from "a heavy sledge", then the bearing is compromised and should be replaced.

A touch of anti-seize on the outside top of the bearings before insertion may help when it comes to remove them in a few years.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128