Kdx 200 E series crankcase compatibility

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx 200 E series crankcase compatibility

Post by Julien D »

If you want a decent left side only you can have the one I have, just cover shipping and I'll send it. I have no use for it.
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Julien D wrote:If you want a decent left side only you can have the one I have, just cover shipping and I'll send it. I have no use for it.
Wow cant thank you enough, really. As soon as i found out the cost i will message you. Thank you again.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'll box it and check with USPS tomorrow and let you know. I'd think $20 should cover it unless you want it priority mail or something. Just let me know the ship to zipcode so I can price it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"Regards from Argentina."

NOT $20
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Already did the search, definitely not $20, more like $230. it wont work out for me, but i aprecciate it anyway.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

https://postcalc.usps.com/

Priority Mail International® Medium Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"
Maximum weight 20 pounds.
Select a Delivery Option Expected Delivery Day Retail Click-N-Ship®
Normal Delivery Time 6 - 10 business days to many major markets1,2 $69.50 $69.50

Large was $90.50 I think.

I didn't look up packaging with ones own box.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

13 x 10 x 6 box

Priority Mail International®
Priority Mail International®
Max. length 42", max. length plus girth combined 79"
Select a Delivery Option Expected Delivery Day Retail Click-N-Ship®
Normal Delivery Time 6 - 10 business days to many major markets1,2 $64.60 $64.60
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Thing with shipping is that i must declare a value for customs to apply the taxes. If i declare the package as a gift, and they asume it isnt :busted: :naughty: ( %90 chance since it is a spare part) the package will get assigned the price they think is correct, and taxes will apply over that value. Same thing applies if i declare a low value. There is no way for shipping + taxes to be any lower than 250 USD.
It looks like i dont want the gift but believe me importing things over here can be quite bureaucratic and involve a ton of paper work.
Hope what i write makes some sence.

I will probably get in touch with molly for that welding tips!
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Molly's 70 wrote:
Martin-vereert wrote:Thanks! I bought the replacement and will probably try to weld the old case just to see how it goes, i do own a tig welder but im not confident on my aluminum welding abilities ( think the case is made of cast aluminum?).

Really apreciate the help!

Regards from Argentina.

I can help you with your Aluminum welding with a TIG. I weld aircraft parts for my job. If you want to try welding the case 1/2, get it super clean. I mean really clean. Remove all, and I mean ALL the oil out of the cracked area. You will need to press out that bearing, it's just a heat sink, the heat will destroy the bearing.

You need to stop drill the crack.
Molly! how can we get in touch? Is it possible through the site? Cheers!

We can talk about welder setup. You must use Argon for shielding gas. A/C current. I would use ER 4043 filler rod.

Remember, clean, clean, clean are the first 3 rules for welding aluminum.
Keep in touch. :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

A mis matched case half is not worth much. I wouldn't give much more than $20 or so. Even if it was a matched half, it is not worth more than $75. As mentioned already, matched pairs have been bought for around US $100.
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Jason wrote:A mis matched case half is not worth much. I wouldn't give much more than $20 or so. Even if it was a matched half, it is not worth more than $75. As mentioned already, matched pairs have been bought for around US $100.
Believe me no way they would understand, i work in a car workshop as an apprentice and deal with this kind of stuff all the time, they will probably just look for a similar part brand new and asign that price.

As i see it now i will probably get it welded, if that doesnt work i will try finding a kdx by parts and buy both halves for a good price (patience requiered), if any of that turns out well i will get in contact with julien and hope he still has it.

Thank you all so so much!, will post an update as soon as i have the welded case!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK. Good luck with it!
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Molly's 70 wrote:
Martin-vereert wrote:Thanks! I bought the replacement and will probably try to weld the old case just to see how it goes, i do own a tig welder but im not confident on my aluminum welding abilities ( think the case is made of cast aluminum?).

Really apreciate the help!

Regards from Argentina.

I can help you with your Aluminum welding with a TIG. I weld aircraft parts for my job. If you want to try welding the case 1/2, get it super clean. I mean really clean. Remove all, and I mean ALL the oil out of the cracked area. You will need to press out that bearing, it's just a heat sink, the heat will destroy the bearing.

You need to stop drill the crack.

We can talk about welder setup. You must use Argon for shielding gas. A/C current. I would use ER 4043 filler rod.

Remember, clean, clean, clean are the first 3 rules for welding aluminum.
Keep in touch. :grin:
Not sure how to comunicate with you directly molly, those welding tips could come in handy know! :grin:
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

We are in touch. Your questions will help other's here. I am ready.

Let's start with proper cleaning. All of the oil that was/is in the crack must be removed or washed away. This may take some effort & time, but clean is a priority. You will drill a small hole to stop the crack from moving.

Do you have any scrap aluminum to practice with? Thickness is not so important, "at this point". You will find aluminum is easy to weld once you know it's personality. Different Alloy's/metal's are like people, we all like to be treated differently. Once you "See, with you own eye's" behind the welding hood, you can meet your new friend named "Aluminum". We will need to clean the practice aluminum samples also. Acetone & a NEW stainless steel wire type tooth brush is best. A used SS brush will only grind contamination into you aluminum. You need a new SS wire brush.

Do you have a TIG with A/C current and pure Argon? I would use ER 4043 filler material. 3/32 tungsten, argon flow about 15 cubic feet on flow meter.

You can do this if you try. We just need to practice on what you see behind the hood.

Report back :supz:
Last edited by Molly's 70 on 05:35 pm Oct 25 2018, edited 2 times in total.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Martin-vereert wrote:Already did the search, definitely not $20, more like $230. it wont work out for me, but i aprecciate it anyway.

Can this be sent as "gift" so custom's will not charge import duty?

Edit: Just read above post's.
Last edited by Molly's 70 on 04:11 am Oct 26 2018, edited 1 time in total.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Molly's 70 wrote:We are in touch. Your questions will help other's here. I am ready.

Let's start with proper cleaning. All of the oil that was/is in the crack must be removed or washed away. This may take some effort & time, but clean is a priority. You will drill a small hole to stop the crack from moving.

Do you have any scrap aluminum to practice with? Thickness is not so important, "at this point". You will find aluminum is easy to weld once you know it's personality. Different Alloy's/metal's are like people, we all like to be treated differently. Once you "See, with you own eye's" behind the welding hood, you can meet your new friend named "Aluminum". We will need to clean the practice aluminum samples also. Acetone & a NEW stainless steal wire type tooth brush is best. A used SS brush will only grind contamination into you aluminum. You need a new SS wire brush.

Do you have a TIG with A/C current and pure Argon? I would use ER 4043 filler material. 3/32 tungsten, argon flow about 15 cubic feet on flow meter.

You can do this if you try. We just need to practice on what you see behind the hood.

Report back :supz:
Im here!, I have only Argon as gas and it has A/C - D/C.
About the filler rod i have to shop around town to see of i find any, it's a common rod isnt it?
So far so good! :pop:
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Yes, 100% Argon gas. A/C current. 3/32" tungsten. 15 cfm on the flow meter from your Argon bottle. Google: ER4043 filler rod, 1/16" diameter.

For practice, we can use some scrap, but clean aluminum. I want you to tell me your problem's with your first try. Just play with a piece of AL & tell me what you see.
The A/C current (w/ argon) will have a cleaning action & we need talk about how that looks under the hood.

Don't forget, It's acceptable to get angry & walk away from the welding bench. When you walk back, is when you learn.

Ask me how I know. :grin:
Martin-vereert

Post by Martin-vereert »

Molly's 70 wrote:Yes, 100% Argon gas. A/C current. 3/32" tungsten. 15 cfm on the flow meter from your Argon bottle. Google: ER4043 filler rod, 1/16" diameter.

For practice, we can use some scrap, but clean aluminum. I want you to tell me your problem's with your first try. Just play with a piece of AL & tell me what you see.
The A/C current (w/ argon) will have a cleaning action & we need talk about how that looks under the hood.

Don't forget, It's acceptable to get angry & walk away from the welding bench. When you walk back is when you learn.

Ask me how I know. :grin:
HAHA i got frustrated multiple times while learning already, im getting used to it. Currently i ran out of gas but will refill as soon as i can, probably a few days though but i will report back!!!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Try to find some 6061 series AL for practice. If not, we will try with what you have.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Tell me about your tungsten. What do you use? Is your TIG torch water cooled? Are you 220/240 V? I have no idea what Argentina is like. Parakeet hunting?