1990 KDX200 Project Bike

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
criggs9901
Supporting Member

Re: 1990 KDX200 Project Bike

Post by criggs9901 »

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I really do appreciate it. At this point the bike was basically done, I actually bolted the plastics up that same night before calling it quits:

The next day I got the finishing touches complete, including a Moose Racing skid plate and Tusk universal pipe guard:

After that all I had left to do was to install the couple decals I had made for the bike and try to do something about that super faded gas tank. Like I mentioned before I was already way over budget on this thing, so graphics were out of the question (couldn't find any I liked, anyway), and didn't really have a ton of free options as far as the tank was concerned. I ended up just coating it in a think layer of ArmorAll, let it dry, then buffed it out with a clean rag. And then it was good. The bike was finished. I think it came out pretty damn good, all things considered, but you guys tell me what you think:

I'm really proud of how it turned out. I kept the budget as low as possible (I only ended up going over my $1,000 limit due to an unforeseen circumstance that I was already committed to) and did the entire build out of a tiny corner of my mom's garage (I don't have garage space where I live, unfortunately). The only thing I wish I could have done was a new seat since I really don't need the low cut one anymore, and I may still do that in the future. I have a few videos of the first ride that I'll share soon once I get around to editing the footage.
1990 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Suzuki RM250
1999 Suzuki RM125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

NICE JOB! Congratulations on it all paying off. I think it looks very nice.

Do try to find a kickstand or put some short bolts in the kickstand plate holes to keep dirt out.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
criggs9901
Supporting Member

Post by criggs9901 »

Thanks, it definitely payed off. I did my first ever "build" a few years ago with a little pit bike, sold it for 600, put that towards this bike, and now did a build on this one. Bought that original pit bike for 100 bucks. Kinda crazy how little things like that end up. I did really want to find a kick stand for this, but one of the holes on the swing arm mount is totally stripped out, so I haven't decided what to do about that yet.
1990 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Suzuki RM250
1999 Suzuki RM125
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Tap it. Or both if you want them to match.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

drill and time sert?

use stock bolts on both
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
criggs9901
Supporting Member

Post by criggs9901 »

Yeah it needs a kick stand badly. I also still plan on replacing the kickstart lever, I really like the FRP short kicker, I'll probably end up getting one of those here soon. I think I may try to just chase the threads on the stripped hole and see if I can get a bite. If not I'll have to just use a heli-coil or insert of some kind. Not sure I could drill and tap them larger and find bolts that would fit.
1990 Kawasaki KDX200
2001 Suzuki RM250
1999 Suzuki RM125
ToddAlmighty

Post by ToddAlmighty »

I'm doing the same type of budget resto on a 90 as well. This thread is a big help. Where did you send the rear shock to get it redone?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It’s looking great! I’m a fan of the E models and I’m about to start on my 92 model that’s been sitting for a while due to the fuel tank being cracked where the petcock mounts. I recently finished some other projects and rolled it out of the barn and into my shop.

I posted a project thread for my 87 model build and you’ve inspired me to do the same for my 92. Coming soon.
Toonces

Post by Toonces »

Great Job! You put in a lot of effort and it really paid off.
M4HD1KDX92

Post by M4HD1KDX92 »

criggs9901 wrote: 05:36 pm May 28 2020 Yeah it needs a kick stand badly. I also still plan on replacing the kickstart lever, I really like the FRP short kicker, I'll probably end up getting one of those here soon. I think I may try to just chase the threads on the stripped hole and see if I can get a bite. If not I'll have to just use a heli-coil or insert of some kind. Not sure I could drill and tap them larger and find bolts that would fit.
I have a question regarding how you restored your headlight plastic. I am trying to remove the white paint (or glue?) and I am having a very hard time.
Can you share some tips on how you got all the white stuff out? I would really appreciate the hand.

Thanks!
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jstcraig »

Looks great, must have been a good starter project if you stayed close to the budget 😂. But seriously you have done a stellar rebuild which just shows a little time and determination goes a long way 👍👍👍
wingrider101+

Post by wingrider101+ »

I'm Doing a similar "Refresh" on my '89 KDX200 - I fabricated small brackets/angle brackets to hold the upper part of the front number plate to the Odometer bracket then solid mounted the headlight into the number plate and used longer screws and some springs at the lower mounts to get the headlight to shine properly down the trail. Worked out real nice.
I'm currently ISO a factory chain guard - the one that goes Above & Below the swing arm , mine is pretty beat up. I think having that in place can really keep the chain a lot cleaner.
Any Ideas where to find one??
seems the OEM on line stores all say "currently unavailable" and I havent had any luck for 6 months on ebay.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I love the way this bike looks. Congratulations on the hard work paying off.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Great work! Love the banana seat!
'00 KDX 220R
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

Great looking bike