1991 KDX 200. Lets talk electrical

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
GOT WOODS?

Re: 1991 KDX 200. Lets talk electrical

Post by GOT WOODS? »

Ah jeez, I'm not a dummy but I fear I'll never get the hang of bike electronics......

Thanks for all of your help, it's greatly appreciated!
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

Friedom wrote: 01:02 pm Sep 28 2018
GOT WOODS? wrote:This is a response to the posting above, I can't seem to get the hang of the quoting thing......

/quote]So the rectifier just goes in line in the wiring?
That's how I did it. Ground and lighting wire into the rectifier, pixie dust comes out! I mounted it on the down tube.

Conveniently The front end is off, so here's a picture.

Note: the stock regulator is not hooked up.

Friedom wrote: 01:02 pm Sep 28 2018
GOT WOODS? wrote: HELP!
On my 2003 220 I did the lighting kit from RMATV and then I added an LED headlight after modifying the bulb plug from a 2 wire to a 3 wire to get the hi/lo beams. I bought a rectifier that looks exactly like the one in the picture above but the instructions were useless (to me anyway...) so I did not hook it up. I hooked the LED headlight up to the bikes existing lighting circuit, not the new battery-driven horn/directional/tailight circuit. The led will come on when the bike starts but it flickers at idle, then goes out completely when I rev the bike off idle. It looks like I have to hook up the rectifier but can someone explain what wires go where?

The instructions say the following:
HOW TO WIRE IT:
-Red: "+" Output, to (battery +)
-Green: "-", to (battery -)
-Yellow, Pink: AC input, connect to magneto coil

So I'm guessing that I want to hook the wires up as follows:
-The red I hook up to the power input wire on the new hi/lo beam switch on the handlebars. This would then put power out to either the hi or lo beam at the LED depending on the switch position.
-The green to the LED's ground wire- but do I also connect this wire back to what was the original stock headlight's ground wire which I am currently using?
-The yellow and pink wires, I am assuming one of them has to connect to the original headlight's incoming power wire to energize the circuit, but where does the other wire connect to? Do I connect it to the original ground wire? Or do I have to go back to the stator and I'll find two wires there to connect these two wires to?

This is the unit I bought:

I noted that the fellow above said that his stock regulator is not hooked up. Do I need to disconnect mine? And why did the stock regulator not take care of this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Let's build an understanding here:

* The stock system generates AC, alternating current.
* The LED light needs DC, direct current.
* The stock regulator regulates how much voltage is going to the light.
* Your light flickers at idle because it's on on every other cycle when the AC is going the correct direction. You can destroy LEDs running AC through them. Some handle it, some stop working.
* The rectifier converts AC to DC. In order to do this, you feed the two AC inputs into it(to the yellow and pink) and use the rectified(converted to DC) hot and ground wires coming out of it to power and ground your lights.
* The unit you got is both a regulator and a rectifier. It replaces the stock regulator, but also rectifies the current into DC.

Yes you do want to disconnect your stock regulator as you're replacing it with the regulator/rectifier. They can produce some weird results if both hooked up. There's a voltage drop in the process of rectifying, so the regulator adjusts it AFTER the rectifier.

As far as I understand, this is how it all works. You'll still get a little flicker at idle unless you add a small battery or capacitor to smooth out the voltage.

I've got the same rectifier/regulator as GOT WOODS? and it looks identical to yours as well, Friedom.

I am planning to wire it in as in the MS paint mock-up above... One power input from the magneto coil after the light switch, the other "T"d off the magneto feed before the CDI, then red output to red light wire and green light to black/yellow ground. Does this make any sense or am I way off?

Planning to mount the rectifier on the plastic air intake under the seat in the same position as the existing regulator.
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

I wired in as above and the bike would not turn over-

I'm guessing that the 'T' off of the W/R wire feeding the PINK wire into the Rectifier was grounding out so there was no current going to the CDI and then ignition coil.

So-
Disconnected and capped the pink line and the bike runs and the LED headlight and standard taillight work- blinky at idle, but solid and strong with some throttle. I haven't thrown a multimeter on anything yet but probably should, just to see what sort of wattage I'm getting.
emmett

Post by emmett »

brademan76 wrote: 03:02 pm Feb 28 2019 I wired in as above and the bike would not turn over-

I'm guessing that the 'T' off of the W/R wire feeding the PINK wire into the Rectifier was grounding out so there was no current going to the CDI and then ignition coil.

So-
Disconnected and capped the pink line and the bike runs and the LED headlight and standard taillight work- blinky at idle, but solid and strong with some throttle. I haven't thrown a multimeter on anything yet but probably should, just to see what sort of wattage I'm getting.
Any news on your system or anyone else in this thread? Looking for the best way to get a brighter headlight (with high/lo beam), a rear brake light- ill install pressure switch and LED bulb (if led would work for that), some sort of speedo (probably trail tech), and anything else required for nh inspection. I dont believe we need blinkers here which is nice, but i may end up adding them anyways.

Im new to all of this, but sounds like i need to rewind the stator, add a regulator/rectifier (and a capacitor?) to do this?

Sorry to revive, but any help is greatly appreciated!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

If you stick to incandescent bulbs, you don't need a DC electrical system. Just an upgraded stator (check out my DIY rewind how-to here on this forum) and you're good to go.
'00 KDX 220R
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

emmett wrote: 08:14 pm May 26 2021
brademan76 wrote: 03:02 pm Feb 28 2019 I wired in as above and the bike would not turn over-

So-
Any news on your system or anyone else in this thread? Looking for the best way to get a brighter headlight (with high/lo beam), a rear brake light- ill install pressure switch and LED bulb (if led would work for that), some sort of speedo (probably trail tech), and anything else required for nh inspection. I dont believe we need blinkers here which is nice, but i may end up adding them anyways.

Im new to all of this, but sounds like i need to rewind the stator, add a regulator/rectifier (and a capacitor?) to do this?

Sorry to revive, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes, hopefully my explanation/diagram helps with wiring it up if you go that direction. I do like it and it is brighter than stock. I'm not having any issues with it.