Headlight wiring

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Headlight wiring

Post by TRUAX »

So I just picked up a 1992 E-4 earlier this week. It has the headlight and the wiring is there, but it has been disconnected from the headlight. Also the light switch has been removed from the bike, only has a kill switch at the left. It looks like I have a black and red wire that should be running to the headlight, and then a red and yellow that have been connected. I'm guessing the yellow and red wires use to run to the light switch? Is this a pretty simple fix the get everything going again? Can I simply reconnect the red and black to the headlight, or do I need to also reconnect the red and yellow to a switch? Image
rhody_romes

Headlight wiring

Post by rhody_romes »

I'm not sure but this might help.
2000 KDX200
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Headlight wiring

Post by TRUAX »

Image Image Image So I'm not sure If I'm missing something on this headlight socket. Do I just need to re-solder the red and black where there is those little globs of solder? It also looks like there was some sort of connection on the outside of the socket. When looking at the blown up diagram on kawasakiparthouse it appears there's more than just two wires running off the bulb socket. If I can make this one work again that would be awesome, otherwise that socket assembly is like 50 bucks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if I'm out of luck though and have to take the rubber band off I guess that's what I'll do.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The KDX comes with a dual filament bulb, but only uses one side (when it burns out, flip it over). The yellow wire is the power lead and must be connected to the red wire to have lighting anywhere. The red wire goes to ONE SIDE of the socket were the two bump are and the black wire solders to the side of the socket
In other words; ground to the side, power to center (either one).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Thank you good sir!
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

FlexingtonKY