Pinging/Rattle under load

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Pinging/Rattle under load

Post by KDXohio »

I'm probably posting this too soon as I haven't had time to investigate much but here it goes.

The end of the season last year my bike did not have these symptoms and the only engine change to the bike has been the addition of a boyesen rad valve bc I noticed some dry rot starting on my intake boot.

So riding around the neighborhood, nothing crazy, I noticed putting the bike in 4th or 5th gear and pulling 1/2 throttle at low rpm the engine started pinging/rattling pretty bad. All opinions welcome! I'm going to dump the gas and put in another batch in case I mixed up low octane when I got it out and put in fresh. Also I'm sure the Rad Valve has thrown off my jetting but I didn't expect it to make it Lean enough for the pinging? Thoughts?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Pinging/Rattle under load

Post by Julien D »

You should certainly rejet after any change to the intake/exhaust or engine. That said, I would see what happens with fresh fuel before jumping to any conclusions. :cool:
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Id lean towards fuel or dirty carb. Usually reads will make is rich not lean.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Thats what i was thinking too Ill know more this weekend hopefully
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
90kdx200

Post by 90kdx200 »