New carb time and some questions

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
jcm66

Post by jcm66 »

The Keihin on my 94 200 is pretty well wore out. Been through it a number of times cleaning it and all tried different slow jets and such never can get it to idle decently. New piston and rings new sleeve and my plug looks like I have it jetted correctly plus a FMF fatty pipe. It has 5000 miles on it so I'm thinking the carb is pretty well wore out.
I'm looking at two different air Strykers
A 36 mm Keihin 016.163 PWK
Or a 35mm Keihin 016.150 PWK

Would putting a 36 mm on there be a mistake? Would I loose my top end power going with a bigger carb?
rabbitrex44

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Pretty sure the big carb wouldn't hurt top end it would hurt bottom end when compared to the smaller carb.
jcm66

Post by jcm66 »

Ok I see, I don't really want that. There is quite the variety of riding here most of the quad trails are rutted pretty badly so I use my bottom end quite a bit. Plus the single track I ride is very tight. I do get to open her up once in a while but I need my low end grunt.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

I just put on a 36mm Lectron on my 89/94 hybrid. It has a 3-2M rod. Best thing is the lack of fuel you use. On my first 2hr race with it I only used 1.5 gallons. Most races with the old carb would take over 2 gal.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New carb time and some questions

Post by newbbewb »

94 kdx already has 36mm. I have heard that the AS carb has a touch less top end do to the "fangs" that hang out. thats comparing a 36mm AS carb to a PWK36 thats been modified.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
brademan76

Post by brademan76 »

kx200 wrote: 08:00 pm Sep 19 2014 I just put on a 36mm Lectron on my 89/94 hybrid. It has a 3-2M rod. Best thing is the lack of fuel you use. On my first 2hr race with it I only used 1.5 gallons. Most races with the old carb would take over 2 gal.
Just want to put out there for others to find if they are researching- I recently installed a Lectron on my 94 (E-series) KDX200. I had been considering it for a while due to having difficulty getting a jet setup that worked well for me as I live at 6500' but ride from my door up to 10k within 10miles. I was hesitant on the purchase as it isn't cheap and I hadn't found much info online about many other E-series with them installed and how they liked them.

Installation: Boot fitment from airbox was fine but intake boot was a really tight squeeze. In general the carb is a really tight sqeeze with the top of it hitting the frame and keeping it from being 100% straight vertical-thankfully doesn't seem to be an issue. For the most part though, it was straightforward and not terribly difficult to instal.

Tuning: Tuning was easy with the instruction and video they have online, unfortunately due the the tight squeeze you have to take off the seat/gas tank, etc to get at it to adjust int but still easier than changing out jets on the stock carb.

Performance: Pulls hard through the whole power band at all elevations, fuel economy seems to be improved as well.

Zero complaints and zero regrets about the purchase. Would recommend!!
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Keep in mind that the 35 and 36 PWK carbs have different inlet, outlet, and overall sizes. Check out Jets R Us website for the differences. The 33 and 35 share the same dimensions and the 36 shares the same body as the 38 and up. If it came with a 35 I would stick with that. A brand new carb jetted properly should make a big difference over the same size worn out carb.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I’ve seen plenty of carbs eaten away from water damage and corrosion but very few that are truly worn out beyond repair. What is wrong with yours that leads you to think it is beyond serviceable? Would you prefer to repair it or are you wanting to dabble in an aftermarket solution?