Started rewinding my stator

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Started rewinding my stator

Post by diymirage »

not sure man, but if you doubt the switch just bypass it, all you do is unplug the two wires from it and plug them into each other directly
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Yeah I've got my new switch wired up so I think i'm going to put the stator back in, kick it over, and see what happens. Don't know what else to do at this point.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Well threw the stator in quick between jobs. Still no lights but I did notice I've got a red and black wire loose from the previous headlight so I may need to hook those up to power and ground and see if that helps.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Started rewinding my stator

Post by 90SDKDX »

So I've got both my low, high beam, and tail/brake lights working. I ended up pulling the stator one last time, did a completely new rewind and that fixed it, along with a couple of hot wires that needed to be piggy backed into the harness. I really like the look of this trail tech X2 headlight. Thanks for trying to help. Now I can do ride tomorrow. :grin:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

According to the wiring diagram I am looking at, the coil wire goes to the regulator via the brown (or brown/red) wire and then to the bulbs. It's been a few years since I owned a KDX. I don't know if the coil is floating or is grounded. If it needs to be grounded and you forgot to make it that way then of course it won't work. A ground path would be the "return" path for the electrical current. I had the SR version of the KDX and it had a 40 watt resistor also that worked with the regulator. I don't know if the regular KDX has that resistor. If it breaks or is burned "open" then it screws everything up.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/