FMF system worth it?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
SRTJ

FMF system worth it?

Post by SRTJ »

I picked up a 91 200 for my wife and it needs a sparky. The pipe isn't bad but I can get a good deal on fmf pipes and was wondering if the fatty was worth putting on these bikes. FYI the original silencer was replaced by a previous owner with a crappy polished "race" style unit.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

FMF system worth it?

Post by SS109 »

Yes, the Fatty is worth it. It really wakes the motor up!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: FMF system worth it?

Post by diymirage »

much more so then the spark arrestor (which only gives you the sound of power) the expansion chamber really allows these bikes to breath
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

FMF system worth it?

Post by Gotanubike »

Mine came with an fmf of gold so I couldn't really distinguish between what stock and fmf sound like but in my experience so far sounds really good and goes really fast.
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

What does the fatty do different than the woods? Which is better? What reeds would you put with a pipe. What does pipe do to carb would you need to lean or richen?
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
icepick

FMF system worth it?

Post by icepick »

Any thoughts on a DG pipe?
4x4fab

Post by 4x4fab »

I'm curious which is the best pipe for an E model 200 for the best low/mid power.
I have a fresh motor, boyseen 607 reeds, steehly flywheel weight, aftermarket silencer, huge rear sprocket, stock pipe..... It's set up for woods, trials type riding. It's a freakin tractor already.... But if I were to buy a new pipe, which is best?
4x4fab.com
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

FMF system worth it?

Post by rbates9 »

Probably at this point any pipe you can still get for an E would be the best pipe over stock. I think I have heard that the E series aftermarket pipe supply has almost gone extinct.
4x4fab

Post by 4x4fab »

rbates9 wrote:Probably at this point any pipe you can still get for an E would be the best pipe over stock. I think I have heard that the E series aftermarket pipe supply has almost gone extinct.
That sucks.
There are a TON on EBay though.
I have a spare oem pipe. Was thinking about gutting it.
4x4fab.com
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

FMF system worth it?

Post by SS109 »

Yep, the FMF Fatty is the only pipe I know of that is still being made for the E. You can find some NOS Pro Circuit or DG pipes out there though.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
sailorcolin

FMF system worth it?

Post by sailorcolin »

I have one on my 94 and when it kicks in it is really nice. If you have ever driven a Turbo car it feels like a Turbo kicking in. At least the expansion chamber any way. The spark arresitor is quiet enough to ride in the road and not too many people look at me.
Hockeygod

FMF system worth it?

Post by Hockeygod »

I have an FMF pipe and race silencer. They were installed by the original owner. It doesn't say on the pipe which model it is and I have never ridden this bike stock, but I agree 100% with sailorcolin's statement about it feeling like a turbo kicking in. When you wick the throttle and hit the powerband... Wow! Hang on!

Perhaps the sweetest engine I have ever ridden. Tractable down low - I can do trials-like moves at low speed - and blip the throttle/shift my weight to lift the front wheel up over trees and washouts! (I'm 213 lbs before riding gear!)

I am not complaining about the handling and suspension (I installed heavier fork and shock springs many years ago - I think they were Race Tech from Fredette Racing) but I can understand why some people choose this motor for their Frankenbike hybrids. More modern suspension components, handling, ergonomics with one sweet engine! I had two KDX 250s which seemed to have a similar amount on the bottom (stock), but revved slower and not as high as my 200. (Makes sense.)

I say try an aftermarket pipe / silencer combo. I am going to buy an FMF spark arrestor over the winter and put it on so my bike is forestry legal - maybe quieter too! (I wish the FMF Q was available for my model and year!) Loud bikes can sound cool in the short term, but we need more bikes to be quieter so we don't lose any more riding areas!

Would be good to hear what you decide to do. Let us know!

Dean