Stripped woodruff key slot

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

So, I decided to take down the engine and get a better understanding of what this bike might need. It's a 1993 kdx200 e series. Does not look too trashed, little to no rust. I've already replaced a few missing parts here and there.

When I turn the crank it sounds like its grinding and is harder to turn than my other bike. So, I was thinking maybe the main crank bearings are shot. I took off the magneto and the the woodruff key slot on the crank shaft is stripped the point that it won't hold the key. Will I have to replace the entire crankshaft assembly?
KDXnoob1

Re: Stripped woodruff key slot

Post by KDXnoob1 »

Probably will unfortunatly, however, if it was just the keyway and not the bearings you MIGHT be able to regrind where the key went and throw in a slightly larger key. You will have to wait till someone with more knowledge chimes in. I haven't run into this before and someone with more experience will know better.

My only concern with regrinding is the balance of the crank and finding a larger, equally as strong if not stronger keyway.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Not gonna address the possible crank/main bearing problem, since you'll need to investigate a little farther to see what the issue there is first.

But as far as the keyway goes:

This is gonna sound like a "yeah-right" type thing, but: Loctite 660 works well in this application.

I am not saying it's an ideal solution, but it actually was formulated to remove slop in pulleys in industrial applications. If you're looking to just make up a few thousandths in a keyway, that is exactly what it was designed to do:

[youtube][/youtube]

Google "Loctite crank fix" to see lots of people doing desperate stuff with it that it wasn't designed to do and still sometimes getting passable results.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

totally off topic but i would like to toss in a little anekdote

it was over a decade ago and i was in my teens and my only means of transportation was a souped up suzuki TSX
i was doing some work to it (cant remember what exactly) and i had removed the flywheel for the occasion
i was getting ready to bolt her back up and more importantly, i was getting thirsty and they were waiting for me at the local bar
only problem was, i could not for the life of me find the silly key that keeps the flywheel in the right place
night was closing in and my thirst was ever growing untill i decided, forget the darn key, im sure i can eyeball it, torque the snot out of it and she'll be fine
well, only a few minutes later the flywheel was back on and the bike put back together
i got my tools put away and i was all set to head off the quench my thirst
i swong my leg over the bike and in one smooth motion pushed down the kickstarter
without so much as a hickup the bike roared to life and when i let off the gass she was purring like a kitten
i pulled in the clutch lever and dropped her into first
as i revved her up i mumbled "woodruff key smoodruff key" under my breath and let off the clutch

as soon as the clutch grabbed the bike lurched backwards and over the handlebars i went
appearanty i had managed to get the timing close enough to where the bike would ignite so far past TDC , the combustion actually send the crank backwards and the whole engine running in the oposite direction than it was designed to

it never took me longer then that day to ride that bike to the bar but by now my thirst had become unsurmountable and i rode that bike there BACKWARDS
you should have seen the looks on thier faces when i backed in to the parkinglot :boogie:

still not quite sure how i made it home
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try the loctite method. This project is getting way more expensive than I intended. I'm going to use loctite on my gas tank as well to secure one if the inset shroud nuts that stripped out. The tank is a little beat up so I want to replace it eventually. If anyone has a 93 tank for sale let me know. There is a 93 250 tank on eBay. Anybody know if that would fit my 200?

Thanks and if anyone is CO high country and wants to ride sometime let me know.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Tank won't fit. The 250 is perimeter-framed. Completely different shape
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

Will the 95 and up model tanks fit?
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Nope. Also perimeter framed.