89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Shonuff

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by Shonuff »

Hello everybody! I've been lurking around the past month soaking up all the info when I hit a road block. Here's my story so far.

The Ride:

I live in Arizona and always fantasized about owning a dirt bike and ripping it through the back roads. I came across what appeared to be a good deal for this dirt bike at $615. The seller offerd to rebuild the rear shock and throw on a new front tire BUT the bike didn't come with a title :-( I did however attempt to get it titled today and got very lucky. I passed initial inspection and the VIN came up clean. The vehicle has no record of ever being titled - or at least titled in AZ. I just have to get the seller to sign a certified letter claiming his ownership and surrender to me and I'M LEGAL :supz:

So rewinding - I bought myself a subscription to cyclepedia, a membership here :) and some tools and got right to business with this bike.

First Stop was tearing it down and seeing what's what.

The clutch cable holder thing was snapped and rigged up with this... My clutch cable snapped when I was trying to load the bike up for a wash before the strip down..

The left exhasut valve for the KIPS was snapped in half... Probably the reason why the bike didn't have any zip. The Piston was cracked and caught just before it expired. Everything has already been replaced

A note about the picture above. When I was prepping for the top-end replacment. The dude at the parts place told me to hone the cylinder. I told him that I wasn't planning on honing that I was under the impression that scotbrite and 2 stroke oil was sufficient. He has been really helpful with my KIPS system and I trusted him when he insisted that I get it honed. Well, I ran home - grab the cylinder and got it honed.... if you look closing the honing revealed a ring at the top of the cylinder... I should have taken better pictures but the engine is already stuffed back into the bike.

Here's what I've noticed now. The bike was obviously abused and has been spot welded a few times. I no longer have a clean way to mount my exhaust.

What would be involved in repairing the frame? Should I just buy a new one?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3559204925.html
I was thinking of finishing the title process and just swapping the frames at the end of it all. I don't really like that idea too much, and I'm considering ways to fabricate the parts somehow.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by SS109 »

First, never hone an E-series cylinder. They are electrofusion coated and it is very thin. If the cylinder is already worn, and you then hone it, you could get into the base aluminum. That is very, very bad!

Anyways, the E-series frame is very tough. I would just clean it up, make any repairs that are needed, and repaint or powdercoat it. If you do get it titled here in AZ, the title goes with the frame. Swapping out frames is a good way for the Game & Fish guys to impound your bike. And trust me, the seem to be stepping up enforcement and getting around to more places nowadays. If I can help any, let me know. I'm in the Tucson area.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Shonuff

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by Shonuff »

Yeah that's my understanding now... I found a place locally that would replate the cylinder for $220 and takes 2 weeks :-/ It's just a small bit of aluminum that's exposed....Can I still ride it?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by Julien D »

I rode mine for over a year with a new cast piston and 60% of the plating showing through. Probably had about as much compression as a toilet bowl, and still ran like a champ. Gotta love a KDX! Should you? No. Can you? Probably...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by SS109 »

If bare aluminum is showing I wouldn't but that's me. I just wouldn't take the chance of the piston and cylinder getting all zen and trying to become one! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Shonuff

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by Shonuff »

Well, a really good condition 91 kdx 200 popped up on craigslist today and I took the offer. I've already got the title in my name and legal plates to satisfy the Park Rangers :-) I'm going to use the old bike for parts. Only probably is I have a brand new fmf gold pipe that has no use and I lost the tag on the pipe so the dealer probably won't take it back :sad:

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by SS109 »

Awesome! I have seen that bike for sale a few times on CL. I was hoping someone from the forum would end up getting it. As you can tell, I love the white KDX's! :mrgreen: Anyways, save the pipe, riding here in AZ you will probably crush one at some point!
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by rbates9 »

Nice find! And a spare pipe is a good thing to have. Like SS said you will probably need it at some point.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by SS109 »

BTW, if you decide to go with the easier to find green plastics, I would be very interested in the white ones of it!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Shonuff

89 KDX 200 Basketcase

Post by Shonuff »

I'll let you know for sure on the white plastic. I'm still debating on the direction of the look of the bike is going to take. Black & White seems REALLY cool direction of the bike. The blue doesn't do it for me.

Edit to add:

SS you're ride is very nice looking :supz: