Compatibility of later clutch basket on E1-E6?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Spadajohn

Compatibility of later clutch basket on E1-E6?

Post by Spadajohn »

I recently bought a 1992 KDX200-E4. The previous owner had a blow up and a few teeth got chewed on the smaller gear at the centre of the clutch basket (the one which mates with the kickstart idler gear). I bought a whole used clutch 'apparently' from an E1-E6 model. Now I'm not so sure because it was a really tight fit to slide into place; (the meshing with the primary gear seemed far too tight and was very difficult to rotate after fitting). Usually if something doesn't feel right, it ain't! I counted the teeth on my old clutch basket and the new part and both are 63T. However the O/D of this large gear on the new clutch basket measured 131.7mm, whereas my original is 129.2mm. Apart from that, they look and appear identical. My primary gear on the crank has 22T and measures 49.7mm in O/D.
I'm wondering whether this new clutch is from a later model (H?). Looking at the AJ Sutton website, the clutch basket and the primary gear have the same part numbers for all E1-E6.
Could someone please measure the diameter of their primary gear from a '97-on model. If it's <<49.7mm and/or has less teeth than my 22T gear then I think I may have to buy a later prmary gear to match the new basket, [or TIG weld up the damaged teeth on my original basket and grind back to correct profile].
Thanks for any advice or help.
JB
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Compatibility of later clutch basket on E1-E6?

Post by Julien D »

Dunno on the gear size, but the H series basket has 10 "fingers", while the E series basket has 12. I don't think the clutches interchange, so a different gear pitch would make sense.
Spadajohn

Post by Spadajohn »

My 'old' clutch hub/plates/springs etc dropped straight into the new basket, so that would make it the 12 finger type too. So it's not looking a like a clutch from an 'H'. I wonder about the SR? Have to do some more research......
Thanks for info on the H though
suzuki 166

Post by suzuki 166 »

i have a 200 sr engine in bits i will have alook tomorrow i know e1-e6 are the same i also have a 200 sr part manual i will check to see if the part numbers are the same.
Spadajohn

Post by Spadajohn »

That would be really appreciated. I'm really tempted to just put the damn thingin the lathe and take off a couple of mm.
suzuki 166

Post by suzuki 166 »

iv checked the part number from a sr to a e4 and they are different the clutch hub sr 13095-1195 e4 13095-1189
the crank gear sr 13097-1238 e4 13097-1157 my sr clutch hub measures 131.7 mm the crank gear measures 50.2mm
i hope this helps
Spadajohn

Post by Spadajohn »

Looks like I have an SR clutch basket then. As your primary gear also has a slightly larger diameter than the E, it must be the deeper tooth profile on the SR gears which is different. I'll try to get an SR primary gear to match. Many thanks for your help on this. I'll post back when I get a solution working.
suzuki 166

Post by suzuki 166 »

are you in the uk?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Spadajohn wrote:Looks like I have an SR clutch basket then. As your primary gear also has a slightly larger diameter than the E, it must be the deeper tooth profile on the SR gears which is different. I'll try to get an SR primary gear to match. Many thanks for your help on this. I'll post back when I get a solution working.
Pay attention to what else meshes with the clutch and primary gear. Water pump gear, governor, idler gear?
Spadajohn

Post by Spadajohn »

Yes, i am in the UK. SW. And also thanks to Julien for reminding me of the other gears too!