Removing KDX200 E1 KIPS valves for cleaning

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
Falcon911

Removing KDX200 E1 KIPS valves for cleaning

Post by Falcon911 »

Hi All,

Would appreciate some info on removing the KIPS valves on my E1 for cleaning. I cannot see how to get them out - looks like the middle/upper one is stopping me!

When I have done that I think I'll need info timing them lol

Is there a recommended manual you are all using?

I am in the UK

Thanks
Andy
suzuki 166

Re: Removing KDX200 E1 KIPS valves for cleaning

Post by suzuki 166 »

hi you can download a manual from this site there are links at the to of the page first you need to take the cap off the centre valve and pull it out i dont think it comes right out at this stage .then lift up the 2 outer valves remove the screw that holdes the rod in lift up the 2 outer valves and the rod should pull out you can then remove the valves i hope this helps but i would download the manual.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Pretty much. what suzuki 166 said. This is easiest to do with the cylinder removed and on your work bench. Remove the two m8 bolts that hold the cap over the center valve. Pull the sleeve for the center valve out until the line in the sleeve is flush with the outside of the cylinder. Pull the two subvalves up until the top of the gear is flush with the cylinder. Now you can remove the main rod from the RH side of the cylinder. After the rod is clear, all three valves will come right out. Installation is reverse of removal. I would highly recommend a service manual, or the online manual that is linked on our homepage.
Falcon911

Post by Falcon911 »

Thanks for the replies. I have the cap off - is the sleeve you refer to 2.5cms in diameter and is this easy to pull out? It doesn't look it!
Presumably I don't pull on the threaded stud protruding but somehow grasp the sleeve?

Thanks
Andy
Falcon911

Post by Falcon911 »

Anyone on removing the central exhaust valve?

Thanks
Andy
suzuki 166

Post by suzuki 166 »

just pull the aluminium outer sleve out its held in by a o ring then the centre valve wii come out where in the uk are you from?
Falcon911

Post by Falcon911 »

Cheers for that. I am based in Luton.

Thanks
Andy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I use a very small flat screwdriver to pry it out just a bit, then you should be able to pull it out with your fingers until the line on the sleeve lines up with the outside of the cylinder.
Falcon911

Post by Falcon911 »

Where exactly are you putting the screwdriver - somewhere on the alloy collar or under the nut type thing on the threaded stud? Tried pulling collar out with grips and won't budge!
Cheers Andy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Have you disconnected the little arm that hooks into the main rod? Be careful, it's left hand thread, and you have to support the rod when you take the nut off the top. If I remember correctly, you need to have the valves in their full open position. With the rod pulled all the way out against the stop. Then you pull the entire aluminum collar out, about 1/4 inch, until you can just see the line that is engraved in the outside of the collar.

I recommend this manual:

http://www.cyclepedia.com/1989-1994-kdx200e/

Just get the one year subscription, and make sure you have the whole thing printed out before your subscription expires. In the meantime, you can just print the pertinent sections to whatever you are doing at the time.