New To ME 93

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
torgo
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New To ME 93

Post by torgo »

I picked up a very nice 93 KDX200 a couple of months ago. I have been riding it a little and now want to start riding some Enduro's around here in Iowa. I have ridden most of my life but I grew up in rural South Dakota so I never got the chance to compete. I had an 81 KDX175 which I rode the hell out of so when the chance to pick up another KDX appeared I jumped on it.

The 93 has the USD forks and they seem good with no leaks. Being a begineer at enduros I am not going to make many mods at first, I just want a solid ride. I have put myself on a strict program and i am in the process of losing weight (I started at 267, now at 230 and will be at my target of 200lbs by May)

Long winded begining but I want to do some winter maintence on the old girl, I want to refresh the fluids and lube every thing. I am going to tear the suspension down and regrease it all and probably take the top end apart and check the KIPS. (It seems to work fine as far as I can tell).

What weight of fork oil would be best for my needs? Begining enduro rider of 200 lbs.

Thanks for everyones advice in advance.

Go NEDURO!!! DAKAR 2012 :supz:
Sorry honey it was an impluse buy.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I know you said you didn't want to do mods but you really need to at least, bare minimum, do one mod. Get stiffer fork springs! KDX forks are sprung for a 150 pound rider max. The rear is good for about 180.

For fork oil recommendations that is a tough one. I would recommend talking with a local suspension tuner or one of the shops online to get their recommendations.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
torgo
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by torgo »

Well one of my winter tasks is to get the suspension dialed in. I have yet to set race and static sag. These number should tell me where to go for the right spring rate.

That being said, what if any springs will retrofit into my USD forks?

KX500, KX250?

Thanks
Sorry honey it was an impluse buy.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Welcome, nice to see another E here!
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks