Suspension linkage

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
CastyMctangles

Suspension linkage

Post by CastyMctangles »

Hey there dirt heathens. Im new here and just picked up a 91 KDX 200. I'm going to be brief and say that I made a impulse purchase and trusted the sellers way too much. Turns out the only redeeming feature of the bike is decent compression and it runs pretty good. Once I got it home and sobered up I realized this thing is a bit of a basket case. The PO obviously did little to no maintenance. I fixed the Silicone covered, stripped out drain plug, replaced wheel bearings, chain, sprockets, cables, clutch perch, and cleaned the years of accumulated gunk glued to its many private parts. Now it's suspension time. The rear linkage is obviously toast. Especially where the lower part of the shock connects. There seems to be no bearing left at all. Any tips on this part of my bastard step child project would be greatly appreciated. Like how to get it off, best rebuild kit etc. I may have to buy a used linkage off fleabay as I fear it may be beyond redemption. Thanks for everything. Guess this wasn't all that brief after all.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Suspension linkage

Post by bufftester »

Pics help a lot. If the bearings are just shot you can press the old ones out and get a set of replacement ones and press them in. If the bearings were shot so bad that the linkage became ovaled you will have to source a new one. Again, pics tell the story much easier. I have used the All Balls kits with no problems. The key is, as you have already found, to regularly maintenance the bike. The swingarm and linkage bearings are the most abused, and most underserviced parts of these bikes. Luckily, the swingarm and linkage bearings are common to the KLX300 (the new one) which is in production so those should be fairly easy to get, unlike a lot of other E-series parts.
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

20240318_171603.mp4
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

CastyMctangles wrote: 03:48 pm Mar 26 2024 20240318_171603.mp4
You'll need to upload that to youtube for us to be able to view it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

Here is a video link on my YT channel
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Hopefully its just the roller bearings failed. If you can press what's left out and make sure the hole is still circular you may get away with just a new set of bearings. If its been ridden hard that way for long you may be looking for a new linkage.
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

Yeah if I have to get a linkage there are plenty on fleabay
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Get it apart and find out.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

Okay I just rebuilt my first suspension linkage. Thanks for the help everyone buuuuuuut now that I've pressed out the old and pressed in the new bearings I'm having a great deal of frustration getting the the rocker arm installed. No matter what zi do I just can't seem to get the holes lined up (ie I can't get it in far enough) insert "that's what she said" joke. Any tricks? Bout to lose my sh$t here.
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

Welp I got it. Just needed a little more persuasion.now to figure out a way to get a wrench on the right side nut so I can tighten er up.