KIPS question—no low end?

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
2stroke1971

KIPS question—no low end?

Post by 2stroke1971 »

Had my 94 200 out today for the longest ride I’ve taken on it so far.

The bike just doesn’t have much bottom end. It will lug around ok at low RPMs but with zero ass behind it. Let’s say I’m rolling in 2nd and I have to turn and go up a mild hill...If I don’t slip the clutch and get the Rs up, it lags badly.

It’s got plenty up top for sure . Taking the air box lid off helped with that, but it was always good. It seems more like a 125 Mx bike the way it’s running . There was a grass track portion on the race I ran today and it lit up like a bat out of hell when I wound it up.

this is my first Actual woods bike so I don’t have anything to compare it to as to how much low end it should have. It even seems finicky when pulling off in 1sr from a stop...it’s a lot easier to stall out than I think it should be.

Could the KIPs fail in such a way that it is always in the “high rpm” mode?

There’s plenty of rattle.....

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
1994 kdx200, 1981 yz465, 1981 xt500, 1975 kx400, 1972 F9 350, 1972 S2 350, 1995 MZ skorpion, 1987 kd80, Baja mini
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KIPS question—no low end?

Post by KDXGarage »

I would like to have a dollar for everyone that reads your post, then thinks to himself... jetting.

What have you done / not done from the airbox lid to the tip of the spark arrestor?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
2stroke1971

Post by 2stroke1971 »

I haven’t done anything besides remove the air box lid. Still sucked at low end before. Having said that, the bike is 26 years old and has been mine for less than one of those years so who knows what’s been done or not.

It has an aftermarket chamber on it from a previous owner. Haven’t a clue what jets are in the carb right now...It’s not blubbery like it’s too rich. Just no power.....so Maybe there is room to fatten it up down low. It’s sharp as a tack up high.
Thanks, I’ll get in there and have a look and see where the jetting compares to stock and the type of pipe that’s on it. Maybe some new reeds....hmmm if the reeds are too stiff they might not open enough down low. In any case some aftermarket reeds might help either way.

I suppose low end is not so critical to have dialed in precisely with something like my 465. Has enough power when running less than perfect. Most of what I’ve worked on and rode over the last 35 years have been large bores.

Anyway thanks again I’ll dig into it when I get the chance

Also going to have a good look at the kips unit. I’ve got plenty of Hyde but no Jeckyll that’s why I was trying to imagine if maybe the part of it that raises and lowers the exhaust port is stuck in the up position because that’s how it’s running...like a pipey old piston port small bore

I rode my buddies IT175 years ago and it was a slug... you had to leave the gas on for 3 minutes and then it lit up. At least my Kdx will light up really quick....but therein lies the issue, sometimes i don’t want all that wheel spin going up a hill......sooooooo I’m thinking as I type.........how about this? The kips is opening up too soon? Because the low end is very ‘short’ as well in addition to being gutless.
Last edited by 2stroke1971 on 02:09 am Jul 13 2020, edited 1 time in total.
1994 kdx200, 1981 yz465, 1981 xt500, 1975 kx400, 1972 F9 350, 1972 S2 350, 1995 MZ skorpion, 1987 kd80, Baja mini
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmm. Definitely check the jetting and make sure the other parts are in proper mechanical order.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Theres a few things you should check out, a compression test is in order, Kawasaki's are notorious for bad cylinders, need to know what pipe and silencer is on it for sure, And of course jetting. On those years the two small kips valves broke all of the time and im not sure of their availability any more . do a quick compression test first to make sure your dealing with a healthy motor first nothing else will help if the basic engine is in bad condition, My 220 was an extremely low hour bike in storage for 12 years the cylinder had rusted and was ruined that I didnt see coming Kawasaki must use machined slag to coat their cylinders they really are that bed
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Kawasaki cylinders are not notorious for bad cylinders.

Letting subvalves cake up with carbon does eventually break them, no matter what brand. :-)

BDK Engineering in the UK have been making them in a steel version for a few years. They even sell them on eBay.

Dude. Do you think letting it set for 12 years might not have been too good for it? Come on now. :-)

No, the original owner did not fog the cylinder and keep it that way.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Well i guess i will agree to disagree on this subject and am going to stand on what i said, Im not going by 1 bike im going by many in my 40 years of riding,my friends and I have had pretty much 100 percent failure rate its just how it has been Its the only brand i have had trouble with in this department sorry not looking for an argument here its just what my eyes have seen and experience with them for what its worth happy trails
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Happy trails. No problem.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

also when doing the compression test dont forget to check the reeds that dont close properly and or chipped Torque comes from compression since you just did buy it used you really dont know what you have until you check these things
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Compression test
Leakdown test
Make sure mechanically sound intake/exhaust (i.e.: no air leaks, holes, etc)
clean carb and jet properly

Kawi has never shown a propensity for bad cylinders, though lots of folks would hone the plating and claim OEM crap. Have had literally every generation of the KDX sold in the US in our riding family for the last 4o years and can say from that 95% of problems trace back to owner maintenance, or lack of. The biggest issue that falls on OEM is the 220 piston design and its related failures. Even KIPS valves break because folks ride for 10 years and never bother to open the head and clean the system. As bikes go the KDX is easily one of the most reliable models ever produced. Suzuki RMX just as reliable, though their power valve was more prone to failure if not cleaned regularly, and would drop a KDX in the woods. Too bad Suzuki gave up on it like Kawi did the KDX
2stroke1971

Post by 2stroke1971 »

Cool!
Thanks guys. Not sure when I’ll get to digging in to it again but I’ve got some great places to look.

I did race it in a 90s class motocross last year right after I got it... got waxed but the motor felt good in that scenario.

ill keep the post updated!
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Yep a used bike is like a box of chocolates i always say, we all go through this, Some of what you are talking about i had the same complaints on my 220 it does lug way down but it does not pull like it should, thats kind of normal as i have ridden my buddied KDX's and they were the same way the real usable power band is upper mid to top and pretty narrow Jeff says all that goes away with porting, I will find out tomorrow as my cylinder will be back today and i will ride it tomorrow.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bikeman2502001, could you please take some pics of the cylinder? Thanks.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

I did take alot of pictures and for some reason they are 5.5mb and the system wont take it any help would sure be appreciated and ill get them posted for you
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Dang, big money. The site recently went from 2Mb up to 5 Mb. :-)

Can you e-mail them to me? I can make some smaller and edit them into your post above, then delete this post.

Thanks.
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

Sure i can what is your email address?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey. I saw the pics in the other thread. Thanks for posting them. That is very neat. Thanks for suggesting people not try it themselves.