90-94 GAS TANK ISSUES Please advise

Discussion specific to the 1989 - 1994 (E Series) KDX200 model sold in the USA
KDXFLJONES

90-94 GAS TANK ISSUES Please advise

Post by KDXFLJONES »

So I have a 1994 KDX 200 that I have totally restored with one exception that I didn’t notice until I rebuilt everything else... My gas tank leaks at the imbedded nuts for the side radiator faring...

My efforts to find a new tank have been useless and I tired to fill it with two part epoxy but the gas ate through it softening the epoxy and the nuts/faring just came off and I ended up loosing a tank of gas cuz I didn’t want to run gas with epoxy mixed in it...

So at this point I am wondering if using a plastic welder to fill in the imbed nuts will work and what’s the best way to go about it

Or

Does anyone know if a tank that will fit a 94 KDX 200 that I can purchase, I was wondering if the KLX tanks would fit??

Any advise is appreciated
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 90-94 GAS TANK ISSUES Please advise

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome to kdxrider.net. Keep an eye on eBay. Also, post a "wanted" ad in the "Wanted" subforum here.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

KLX tank will not fit, the KLX uses a perimeter frame like the H model, not a single backbone frame like the E model. Plastic welding will work, but there's not a lot of material to work with so be gentle. For a replacement Ebay is going to be it.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

It can be fixed, check some of you local shops if they do plastic welding, seal the leak and weld the insert back into place.
Or for the do it yourselfer, the leak itself no matter how small will have to be plastic welded for any epoxy even JB Weld to work, if you are VERY careful you can try to do it yourself with a soldering iron(youtube), once the leak itself is fixed I have had good luck with JB Weld(long cure), but the area must be very well cleaned, once you think it is clean, clean it again..
3M does make a aircraft tank sealant(EC-776-amber tint or EC776SR-red tint) that I have had luck with on Plastic tacks, but again the inner tank must be very well cleaned for it to work. Unfortunately It is often hard to find(local airports-suppliers), pricey and will not work with Gasohol(alcohol containing fuels)
02 KDX220
KDXFLJONES

Post by KDXFLJONES »

Thanks for the tips,
I actually successfully got the tank welded up, I used an old faring cleaned the plastic with a razor and cut a strip to use as my welding rod and it filled it nicely I’m actually really happy with it, I have to order some new nuts and once they get here I’ll tackle that, I’ve seen people heat them and press them in with success

Now my last issue it getting my petcock to seal, for some reason after a few rides it started leaking slightly from connection point....

But made progress thankfully
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, all right! Congratulations on the repair.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128