Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

On a KDX? Don't LOL
'00 KDX 220R
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Have strong legs, lean back to keep the front floating, pace the throttle blips to hit as the rear hits the next bump. Try to jump over some of the whoops if you can, hitting half of them makes you half as tired. It's one of those things that you can't be timid about within reason. A lot of times going 10% faster makes it 80% easier.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

It's one of those things that you can't be timid about within reason.
On a KDX? Don't LOL
Two very true statements. Mine never liked whoops. I gave up and started avoiding them where possible.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

I have to agree with mike...after the 1st time you really commit and give it the gas vs being timid you'll be grinning ear to ear and going back for more.

But I also wouldnt try it with out getting the suspension dialed in pretty good first.In stock form the KDX is not meant for really blasting through whoops.Where I used to ride we had some powerline access roads that where really whooped out.I could skim them easily kamikaze style flat out on my KX 250 that was almost stock where as with my KDX that had work done to the original forks I would be a gear or 2 lower trying to double them and get a rhythm going.
HotTrak

Whoops?

Post by HotTrak »

I am new to riding dirt bikes, but have done a good amount of mountain bike and bmx riding on trails when I was younger. I hit my first trail with a good amount of whoops yesterday on my '82 kdx250. I automatically hit them like I would on my bmx. Stand up and pump my weight into the pegs as I approached the whoop, and keep some pressure on the handlebars as I hit the apex to keep the front wheel on the ground. I still have the stock springs in front, and haven't had a chance to tune the rear shock for my weight. I'm sure there's better techniques I'll pick up as I keep learning, but I felt pretty solid riding them after a few passes.
adam728
Supporting Member

Whoops?

Post by adam728 »

Size/shape of the whoops makes a big difference. Sometimes widely spaced sand whoops can be ridden weight back, on the gas, skimming the front tire with the rear following the ground. Tighter whoops might require you trying to "stay on top". Other's are deep, sharp, irregularly spaced, and just a plain old pain in the arse.

Also, as said, the KDX isn't the best bike for most whoops. In my experience with two resprung KDX's, one of which was also revalved, a MX bike just makes aggressive whoop attacking 5 times easier.