Jumping Technique

Have a question about technique?
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Jumping Technique

Post by chopper_guy »

Hi,

I'm sorely (literally) in need of some jumping advice. Last trip out, I put a few hours into practice jumping. Nothing big....1-2 foot high take offs. Struggled a lot with landing consistency. Sometimes flat, sometirmes rear first, sometimes front first. One of the rear first landings had me whiskey throttle off into the next jump. Didn't end well. My 12 year old, once he stopped laughing, told me I dragged the rear fender for 10 feet before coming off the bike. He of course clears large table tops on his YZ80, but isn't able to offer much advice on what he does. Are all kids naturals?

The bike is a 2005 200 with RB head/carb, rev pipe and 607's. I'm running the CEK needle. Although I love the setup, I am beginning to wonder if the needle choice is complicating my efforts to work out throttle control on landing. Tempted to put in a DEK and see if I do any better.

Most of my take offs were in 2nd gear putting me right into the powerband when I get back on the throttle after the landing. I did try a few in third at about the same bike speed. Much more forgiving of throttle control mistakes, but a bit slower off the landing. I'm using this approach for now.

I preload the suspension with a down ward push when I hit the ramp and this gives much better air on the take off than just driving off the ramp. Which is preferred? I tend to feel more coordinated with the bike with the preload.

Bottom line is I'm a 20 year plus street rider with just a few seasons of dirt experience. Suggestions on technique and things to practice would be appreciated.

Great site. Glad I found it.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Preloading is good, but maybe just sticking to the basics might help. A little throttle blip at the point of leaving a small jump should get the nose up, and definitely throttle on just before and during landing (not after landing) will help a rear-wheel first, much softer landing. A throttle-off landing is a mighty ugly thing indeed, I bet that is the essence of your problem.

You can use the throttle in the air to raise the nose of the bike, if necessary. Make sure you are off the seat so you can adjust the bike flight attitude when in the air, pivoting on the footpegs.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Post by chopper_guy »

OK thanks for the input. I do close the throttle down once in the air and more likely than not I hit still closed. Will have to watch for this next time. Weather permitting I've got long weekend to play around a bit.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Hitting the brake in the air gets the nose down. Might need to clutch a little to keep from stalling. Watch the On the Pipe videos of the guys doing super long jumps if you want to see a lot of throttle on/off and it's effects on bike attitude in one jump.

Don't let this stuff go to your head though. Jumping a KDX with bone stock forks like an MX bike at it's limits will get you hurt or seriously kilt. My kids YZ would jump way high and land soft, the KDX without mods is out of it's element there.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220