SEEKING SAND RIDING TIPS

Have a question about technique?
Duke

SEEKING SAND RIDING TIPS

Post by Duke »

At Hungry Valley ORV park, there is a crude MX track that serves as a good way to practice turns. Most of the turns have deep sand. In negotiating these turns I find the bike wallowing about like a shopping cart. From a mecahnical stand point I can stiffen the compression on the forks (.38 KG springs). From riding tactic standpoint, I assume being aggressive on the throttle and moving my weight back a bit will also help. Any other tips that folks could add?
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

compression will help,make sure you have proper springs for your wieght in front and back, then set sag,this helps but the kdx front end is the weak point switching to kx front end really helps.
Duke

Post by Duke »

Yea, I am aware of the fork swap, but I am not keen on spending the time and money for such a conversion. Instead, I am seeking riding tactics that will aid me in this endeavor. I have seen riders on XR250's negotiate such terrain in a faster and more refined manner then me. And KDX forks are the equal to any OEM XR250 fork
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

When I am in a situation such as yours... I pull off the track and watch exactly what everyone else is doing... listen to the motor... look at their form.. watch the back tire... watch their hands.

I am not familar with sandy conditions personally, I am just trying to help you help yourself. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

sorry about the direction I went Iwould recomend stay back on seat more and higher gear and feather clutch, I know what you mean about wallowing in corners,on rougher corners try standing and keep the front end as light as you can otherwise the front tire starts acting like a plow.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Drop your fork tubes in the T-clamps. You want to raise the front and carry your weight more in the rear and keep the front end light.
Forget what you've been told about riding on the gas cap you don't want to dive into turns sticking the front end, the sand will catch your front tire. Try to be smooth and arc tuns, stay on the gas keeping that front end light, weight a little to the rear. If you chop or shut off the gas it's cause your front end to dive so stay on the gas and steer with the ass end. The bike will move and drift under you, let it go and don't fight it.
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks every one for the input. I will put it to use at next ride session and report of the progress
Duke

Post by Duke »

>|<>QBB<
Duke wrote:Thanks every one for the input. I will put it to use at next ride session and report of the progress
Well, I ventured to Hungry Valley and proceeded to put to practice those offerings listed above. The two single best tactics was for me to sit back farther and to completely relax my upper body; slumped shoulders, arched back, light grip and more squeezing the bike with the legs. I elected to focus on smoothness and not speed. But the latter quickly followed in due time. Thanks all for the advice.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Old thread but I will add my 2 cents

All I ride in Michigan is sand and sometimes it really sucks but
a bad day riding is better than a good day at work, kinda like fishing.

Go into the corner on the higher side somewhat on the throttle !
Half way through give it more and steer with your weight.
If you start to dive or chop give it more throttle to regain control.
Always think the more throttle the more control, sometimes
hard to do if your tired.
Try and go slow through some deep dry sand then try it again
going much faster and you will feel a huge difference in control.
Kick the forks down in the clamps and stay off the tank!!!

I ride so much sand it's sometimes hard to adjust to dirt and hardpack..
tjg53

Re: SEEKING SAND RIDING TIPS

Post by tjg53 »

we'll I'm in mi. too , and we have lots of sand that for sure. What is bad about the kdx is no rebound. Becase that is what it needs , is the rebound to be slowed down so it will steer better. The stock fork aren't bad forks , a revalve is needed for this. Gold valves could help with that.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Where in mi ?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

lower rear tire pressure and get on the gas
MI trails are terrible, especially halfway through the season once everyone has been through there and tore it up
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike