AN EASY RIDING TIP

Have a question about technique?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sure, whenever the tail gets crossed up for starters.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Duke

Post by Duke »

Not to deviate the subject too much, but are you (Kawagumby) at all famliar with the Wilcox's, Shaun and Curt? They are from D36 area. In seeing them on a ISDE video, I couldnt help but be fascinated by their unqiue riding style, were they seem to violate all the basic tenants advocated; elbows way down, rarely standing, seated too far in the back. And yet they are railing at a pace few could match
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
Duke wrote:Not to deviate the subject too much, but are you (Kawagumby) at all famliar with the Wilcox's, Shaun and Curt? They are from D36 area. In seeing them on a ISDE video, I couldnt help but be fascinated by their unqiue riding style, were they seem to violate all the basic tenants advocated; elbows way down, rarely standing, seated too far in the back. And yet they are railing at a pace few could match
Yeah, riding style is a personal thing to a large degree (that's why my pontificating is so lame,heh) ...we're all built differently, have different backgrounds of experience - hey whatever works, no? I've seen guys really haul that sat down all the time and didn't seem to move around on the bike at all! When I got serious into dirt-biking, Bob Hannah was the hero of the day, so a lot of my habits are what he taught in his "how to ride fast" articles... I always pull in the clutch while braking into a turns, for example, When I'm on a four-stroke I don't even notice compression braking because of that...good or bad... LOL! The downside is I tend to fry rear brake rotors a lot...

I guess that's what makes off-road riding so fun, you can do whatever you want, try whatever you want, and pretty much go wherever you want - I've tried a lot of sports but none have captivated my nature like dirt-biking. :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Duke

Post by Duke »

Yea, the sit down riding style can be effective. I have a freind who looks like he is relaxing by the pool, sitting back, rarely standing, yet few can keep his pace be it on the tight trail or open desert. Once in venturing to a local MX track, I saw gentleman unload his dual sported XR400 and proceed onto the course. He then went about at a pace that kept him amongst some of the faster riders, all the while feet on the pegs, seated, removing himself only when leaving the jump. Very smooth and effortless. His buddy said that he had once taken a riding class or two, but gave up trying to emulate what was being taught and reverted back to his own ways.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Vintage-style!

Modern style = big forks

Vintage style = big sack
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Vintage-style!

Modern style = big forks

Vintage style = big sack
... and for the ladies, fuzzy? what would you call it? hmmmm?
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

we chatted before, butterfly... so if i can say...

IMO...

big HEART!! :lol:
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

ah .... that's nice ... and yes, i do
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly