What would be the proper technique

Have a question about technique?
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What would be the proper technique

Post by blimpman »

This is a muddy, rocky, steep downhill section at a Harescramble event I saw last year. Most of the guys rode down it with the rear wheel locked and sat forward on the seat. Some almost ate it because of too much weight forward I think. How should you attempt this section? BTW, the camera does not do justice to the steepness and rockiness of this hill.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c2E8MHkB-2Q
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

How should you attempt this section
GASSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :lol:
I would sit as far back as I can, 1 st gear, hard on the break but not too hard as to not lose rear traction, and both feet on the pegs to soak up the bumps
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

hehehheee. Ok, camera angle not withstanding, here's how you handle that kind of downhill. Come to Colorado and ride the trails above Leadville. Coming from the ridgelines down to near town, you drop from about 13,400', to around 10,000' in pretty much one shot. the first time you do it, you'll boil out your brake fluid and have no rear brake (I did). Then you'll get smarter. Do it another couple times and when you go back to that thing, you'll just jump over those guys while they putt down that little hill.

An alternate plan, on a short hill like that, is just gas it down there. Under power the bike handles better than if you're sliding around braking and bobbling all over the place. Learn to use your front brake on down hills. No doubt you can crash easy, but you need to learn to modulate it and practice taking it to lock up, then backing off. It'll give you a ton of confidence when you master it. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I agree; attack it with weight back....wayyyyy back. Stay off the brakes and use motor to control descent in a low gear. Slip the clutch to keep the rear wheel spinning and to help with speed control; either speeding up or slowing down.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

If there's a bunch of guys around you who are struggling and semi-out of control, it may not be a good idea to gas it, as you won't be able to change your direction quickly in muddy conditions (unless you have a clear shot with a good run-out at the bottom). If the mud is clay-based and slippery, you can't be downhill hero and expect to survive every run; if it's loamy-firm that's another story. This is where grabbing the bike with your knees and inner thighs gives you the ability to keep that CG low (lightly sitting) and centered on the bike so you can modulate the brakes to keep them from locking (more control if the wheel is rolling). Also, if you're centered, the bike front suspension still has some available travel for control. If you're not using the handlebars mostly as a way to hold you back they remain easier to move to control the bike. Buy a Thighmaster and become one with a Jane Fonda workout tape. :lol:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Be more fun to go up wouldn't it?
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

>|<>QBB<
KDXSean wrote:Be more fun to go up wouldn't it?
:shock:
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I watched the video and was wondering where the hill was? Just kidin' . In Western Oregon that would be a nice section to rest on!

Gotta be on the pegs, off the seat, weight back over back of seat, no brakes, and looking forward. Many on the video were opposite this and made it down sliding and out of control.
'
Mr. Clean

Post by Mr. Clean »

Heh, ya I have to agree with firfighter. No disrespect, but thats not really a hill. 2nd or 3rd gear, off throttle or on bit whichever, and you are through there in about 2 seconds. Lots of those riders had there feet off the pegs, out of control. Shift your weight a bit back, don't lock the rear brake, stand on the pegs and let the bike work.
The bottom is a slow left hander, no need for low gear anywhere.
Just my 2 cents.
curtisa

Post by curtisa »

Standing, weight back, on pegs, squeezing with your legs. The guys in the vid were squids.