Who needs front brakes???

Have a question about technique?
Wazowski

Who needs front brakes???

Post by Wazowski »

I've never really had front brakes. The old Honda I use to ride I never had the cable for and since everyone I rode with said you were better off not having one (cuz you can lose control of the front if you lock it up) I guess I learned to ride without it.

I've even had old MX'ers tell me they used to set their old drum style brakes so they would not lock up no matter what. Can't really do that with disc brake. (Well sometimes it can but it's an unwanted side effect of poorly bled brakes...anyway.)

The first time I used the one on the old KDX I did just that! Too much brake and WHAM! hit the ground hard. That just confimed to me that you really didn't need front brakes.

Now my kid tells me he uses his all the time. In almost all situations from not at all to balanced between it and the rear and to front brake only.

So I have two questions for you all.

1)When should you use the front brake?

2)When do you (personally) find it useful?

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Front brakes is about all I use....
Last edited by Indawoods on 08:12 pm Oct 22 2007, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

What Inda said....it's essential, IF you want to stop quickly.
I use it every time I brake.
Due to weight transfer onto the front tire, when under braking, that tire has almost all the grip. You need to practice using it aggressively, while keeping the bike perpendicular to the ground.

Hey!! Get your kid to show you how. They love it when they get to teach the 'ol man something. If you don't believe us, simply have a stopping competition with your son.

And prepare to eat some humble pie.............served by him! :rolleyes:
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Front brakes is about all I use....
:wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I almost think of the rear brakes as a front brake assist, a little extra stopping power when you gotta' stop in a hurry . . .

'bout the only time I use the front brake sparingly is a tight, slippery turn. And that's because I'm not that good!

It's only since I've started riding last year, though, that I started really using the front brakes on downhills. 'Took a little nerve at first but I found out that they provide much better control (the rear brakes are used as well but not too much, they'll get you to sliding out of control pretty quick is my experience). So even on downhills.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I hardly ever use the rear brake unless I'm going to slide through a corner. The front will provide 70% of the total braking power, that's alot of power not too be using! You are either going very slow or know how to maintain speed through corners extremely well. Learn to use the front brake and you will know when too much is too much.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Cornering, I could not imagine cornering without the front brake, you can take a corner a helluva lot faster if you use the front brake right as you start into a corner

Steep downhills, back brake is worthless, lock it up and you'll pick up speed
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I read this somewhere's

But you know how your bike will throw you on your ass in a heartbeat, if you lock up the front brake on loose stuff like gravel?

If you keep the throttle on it won't do that, front end will just skid. Ive tried it with my Vstrom, works like a charm!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I read this somewhere's

But you know how your bike will throw you on your ass in a heartbeat, if you lock up the front brake on loose stuff like gravel?

If you keep the throttle on it won't do that, front end will just skid. Ive tried it with my Vstrom, works like a charm!
I saw this on a technique CD "Dirt Wise". They recommended practicing throttle + front brake skidding to help improve use of controls. I wondered why that would help; now from what you say here I can see why.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
GS

Post by GS »

I agree, Wibby. Little bit 'o gas helps to stabilize, too. Not sure why, though.... :neutral:
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I have back brakes???!!! :lol:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

I too have had to learn the hard way about front braking. Learing how to ride a little more aggressively in da woods requires you to use both. Most great riders where we ride slow with the front and steer with rear. It's the darnest thing.

My last two practice sessions had my butt under my bike do to a bit too much front brake. Both were on roots at a decent clip. :rolleyes: Boy those roots are slippy.

Straight up stopping is a must, cornering use till the edge and roots - well... you'll have to learn that one as well.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Great suggestions from you all. I can't wait to put some of this in practice to see what I have been missing from the front brake.

Wibbins sez to brake with the front before hitting a corner. Would that be a flat corner or one with a berme?

Some of you suggest braking through a corner...must be tricky twisting that throttle while braking with the same hand! I'm guessing the technique includes braking with only one finger?

I guess "how you should brake" is something you get used to once you've mastered "when should you brake" part of the formula.

Any more hints, suggestions, amusing "too much front brake" stories are welcome.

I'll do some online searches too.

Waz
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

This made me think of the way my back brake locks up instantly. I usually just use my front but it kinda gets annoying. Has anyone had this?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

I'm w/ you guys. Rear brake usually only to whip around downhill switchbacks or when stopped on a slope.

You should see the look on the H-D guys' faces when I tell them I use my front brake 90% of the time! :lol: I know one guy who, when buying new or used road bikes (cruisers, H-D types) REMOVES the front brake equipment immediately.

Wussies.

WHY THE HELL IS THE FRONT ROTOR 2X THE SIZE OF THE REAR? :mad:
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Me too..Its easier for me to grap lightly & go
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

In the woods I use mostly front brake, with the rear just for cornering purposes, in MX where there are 10" deep ruts, you use the front brake to keep your front tire from wandering, and you use the rear on braking bumps.... I'd say you should be using both on either terrain.

I agree with the fact that the front brake gets used more
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:In the woods I use mostly front brake, with the rear just for cornering purposes, in MX where there are 10" deep ruts, you use the front brake to keep your front tire from wandering, and you use the rear on braking bumps.... I'd say you should be using both on either terrain.

I agree with the fact that the front brake gets used more
Thanx 2001kdx, you just made more sense out of this snippet from TransworldMX...
50. FRONT BRAKE RUT READY
"I like to keep my finger on the front brake when I am negotiating tricky ruts, because a little front brake can help you in case you start to ride out of it or get cross-rutted. Sometimes, if the rut is really tight or in an off-camber section of the track, dragging the front brake a little bit can help you keep the front tire from riding up the sides and out of the rut." - Ernesto Fonseca
I'll have to try this sometime.

Waz
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
Ondatrail wrote:This made me think of the way my back brake locks up instantly. I usually just use my front but it kinda gets annoying. Has anyone had this?
You can adjust that. There is a nut on the brake lever going into the master cylinder, you want to adjust that out.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
almost never touch the back brake. Front is just about all I use.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!