...And he’s jumping around like a damn Jack Russle terrier..

Have a question about technique?
xagentman

...And he’s jumping around like a damn Jack Russle terrier..

Post by xagentman »

Yesterday I put some time in after work, practicing a smoother jumping technique. (I am fortunate enough to live in a place where my backyard is a large field that has some nice jumps groomed into it) :mrgreen:

I can jump but, I have never been completely comfortable in the air. I can willingly admit that I am inconsistent during the flight, sometimes landing front or rear wheel first with the occasional nice level flight with a smooth landing mixed in for good measure. (That’s what I want) There are even times when I end up jumping more that my bike does. :oops:
That leads to this awkward position where I am sailing through the air and the bikes wheels are still connected to the ground. I am able to land back on the bike but, the only thing it is good for is comic relief. :roll:

Despite all that, I felt like I made some headway yesterday. I found some things that worked for me and others that didn’t. But, I was wondering if you guys had any advice or a technique that might improve my consistency?

Thanks for your input.

-Agent
==05 KDX220R==
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Practice. It's all about knowing what's going on while your in the air. Keep steady throttle on while taking off, don't cut the throttle at take-off, you really don't want to endo. Once you start jumping more and more you'll learn to shift your weight to keep the bike at the right angle. Gripping with your knees will also keep you from flying off the pegs.

Kickers are interesting too (jump where the back tire is kicked up) and can be scary. Take my example. 50+ft step-up that turned into a very large kicker:

When landing, you don't want to land like this. It's scary to say the least. I'm looking ahead though!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Screw kickers man I hate those things :lol:

They're kinda fun though - You need to displace your weight correctly on the bike.

Practice Practice Practice. :wink:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

If you pitch forward in the air, GAS IT.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

What do you think I was doing?! Lol, you should have seen my last lap, I landed at an even steeper angle going even faster. Landed so hard I hit my head on the bars! lol

2 more things, you can use your rear brake to lift up your front end, make sure you use the clutch before taping it though. Be fully committed to a jump before you hit it.
JMETTEER

Post by JMETTEER »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:
2 more things, you can use your rear brake to lift up your front end, make sure you use the clutch before taping it though. Be fully committed to a jump before you hit it.
I think you have that backwards. Tapping the rear brake will pitch the front of the bike down. Pining the throttle will bring the rear of the bike down.

Later,
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

As JMETTEER said, you use the panic rev if you find yourself rear-high, brake tap when your front-high. Practice these techniques on a jump you're comfortable with, so you know how to do it just in case :)
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

thanks guys... good advice.
==05 KDX220R==
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
JMETTEER wrote:>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:
I think you have that backwards. Tapping the rear brake will pitch the front of the bike down. Pining the throttle will bring the rear of the bike down.

Later,
So that's why I'm almost crashing! :roll:

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, yes I had it backwards. Sure didn't mean it though! lol
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

While all the tips on the gas and the brake are good advise, on smaller jumps, they wont do much good. After many years of MX, I found that 1, like bleak said, be fully committed. 2, as soon as you leave the ground, feel out your flight and where you want to land. 3, don't freak out! Many many times i've been in very bad posistions, and have landed ok. You need to try and relax. I know its hard in bad situations, but it is the best thing you can do. don't quit, but just be limber. Allot of times the bike will straighten itself out, if your not too stiff. Like a drunk in a car wreck. They usually don't get hurt as bad, because they are so limber....... :partyman:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:While all the tips on the gas and the brake are good advise, on smaller jumps, they wont do much good. After many years of MX, I found that 1, like bleak said, be fully committed. 2, as soon as you leave the ground, feel out your flight and where you want to land. 3, don't freak out! Many many times i've been in very bad posistions, and have landed ok. You need to try and relax. I know its hard in bad situations, but it is the best thing you can do. don't quit, but just be limber. Allot of times the bike will straighten itself out, if your not too stiff. Like a drunk in a car wreck. They usually don't get hurt as bad, because they are so limber....... :partyman:
When we ride next spring you're giving me and Andy some jumpin' lessons . . . :cool:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

OK, first, drink about six beers, then........
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's my motto! The more I'm primed...the better I am! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Vince knows his s__t! Gotta be prepared!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

So, I should be jumping drunk.... pssh... my bad... my bad.
==05 KDX220R==
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Well....no. Not a good idea. Just lots of practice. Try to stay loose. Go to your Happy Place....... :supz:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
rompnstomp

Post by rompnstomp »

Could be your suspension is out of balance. Too much rebound dampning up front could keep your front end low and cause a lack of takeoff. Same with the rear.