More MX-ing (Shultz Compund, WA)

Have a question about technique?
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

More MX-ing (Shultz Compund, WA)

Post by Goat »

Definition:
Whiskey Throttle - is when you fall back on the throttle and hold it on uncontrollably and can't let go. It usually happens when you are tired and/or not holding on with your knees/legs. It usually ends up in a crash.

I was in mid-air in that suspended animation phase that comes only when you know it's not going to end well. I had time to mentally make a list of how many things were gonna get broken (both bike & body) and congratulated myself on not having installed wrap around handguards, in this particular situation. But WHAM... thanks to a rut that caught my back tire I managed to land a full 12 o'clock whiskey. The front slammed down so hard my feet bounced off the pegs and I rolled the following table top like a cartoon character of yard sale legs and bike swerving across every line on the track.

Rewind - Last week, I had so much fun in the woods that I almost decided that I did not need to play in my MX-fantasy world anymore.
But, I was invited to practice day at the mini arena-cross track where I took an MX lesson. I figured i better go, or they'd quit inviting me. All I can say is that I LOVE both. Track is different, but what a thrill ride. And lucky for me KDX does both great (at my skill level). I cranked the front end MX forks to 7C / 9R. (And need to get that 5.2 rear shock off the shelf) installed to see if that makes it even better.

Carrying speed through corners is still my weak spot. So far I still cannot trust the lean or hold the traction well enough. But it is absolutely fantastic to be a little better at it today, than I was yesterday.

95% rider - 5% bike
I was wistfully watching the A-class on their modern 250 & 450 (4Ts mostly) wondering if one of those babies might make my life easier. Then in one moto as I'm zipping around in my best effort to keep up w/ B-class, some 'kid' on 110 KLX pit bike blows by me like I was taking a nap. I think to myself, "That kid has the most perfect form and timing I have ever seen. How can he do that?"
It was the MX coach who is a compact man and can make any bike look like it came from the factory works dept.
He also joined in on his 450 in the A-class, and did the same to all of them..... awe inspiring to see what truly fast guys can do!

Woods or Track - I love em both.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: More MX-ing (Shultz Compund, WA)

Post by Goat »

Some pics of the ride.
Attachments
C423A84D-1F06-4F5A-B532-57A0F159D564.jpeg
C423A84D-1F06-4F5A-B532-57A0F159D564.jpeg (562.56 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
1BDF4814-373B-429C-A824-4D741B2E9EA1.jpeg
1BDF4814-373B-429C-A824-4D741B2E9EA1.jpeg (566.82 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
4BB5D41D-5DD6-489B-9249-54A37CA88A67.jpeg
4BB5D41D-5DD6-489B-9249-54A37CA88A67.jpeg (614.13 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
A25EB18C-B616-426E-88F2-2D08FF38F8C3.jpeg
A25EB18C-B616-426E-88F2-2D08FF38F8C3.jpeg (618.72 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congrats on getting back out there. Start saving now and buy yourself a 2005 KX125. If you can learn to ride a 125 well, you will be great on any engine size. Also, a 125 is the least powerful full-sized MX bike. I have one, and it has immediately let me know if I am in the wrong gear or off the pipe. It is also a lot of fun.

Here's a pic of it and my 2005 KX250 on a day I raced both. :boogie:
DeerRun033014.jpg
DeerRun033014.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 9962 times
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Oh man! My wallet is feeling it already. Looks like a double set of fun!
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I hear you! Another mouth to feed. :-)

Thanks!
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I’m sure I could ride like this if I just found the right KX

Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

He says, "maybe!"

:mrgreen:
DSCN1682.JPG
DSCN1682.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 9933 times
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

What do you think they should sell for?
This is only one I found close by.
Looks pretty nice. But not real cheap.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy ... 66424.html
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Thanks for sharing, all that sounds like super fun! My dreams are of mastering the hare scramble skill set right now. I haven't had my KDX on any kind of MX track yet, but would enjoy the opportunity. Based on what I can tell learning and exercising proper body position is the first step, then timing and all the rest of it. Looking forward to learning on a MX track in the future.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

MX tracks can be a great way to practice for HS, just remember your KDX suspension is a bit soft so watch the big jumps. You’ll get concentrated work out on turns, ruts and whoops, all of which will benefit any sort of racing you do, HS or enduro. I found I made the most progress quickest when I hired an MX instructor for one on one coaching. An hour of intense work on basic body position and turns gave immediate results. Worth the money.
If you figure it’s 90% rider, 10% bike, spend some money working where you’ll get the most benefit...the rider!

Now if I just hadn’t run off into that big gully and broken my dang pelvis!
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Man Doakley! I hope you get something fun to keep rolling.
I have the side-car picked out for my triumph, just in case of aging out or other.
Dear Stomper,
This is pretty addictive.
Watching 30 Catanzaro vids on YouTube, does give the book-learning involved. But 4-hrs at the group class was what really sunk it in. I want to go for some 1-on-1 also. and need to build at least one MX corner on my property to help get my s*** in a bag.
Rocks and roots are a blast. But so is rush of track speed and flying.
When I started this, a meager 14mo ago, I only went to the MX track because it’s closer than ORV park. And was a handy place for test & tune. I fully intended to ‘keep one on the ground’. Now I’ve built my bike as a tweener and have Doak & KDXG telling me what I already know, “MX bike maybe better for MX.”
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Mr. Goat, sir. I still have my KDX AND AT THE MOMENT, it appears to be in better shape than I am!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Goat, $3,300 sounds high. Prices have really jumped since COVID-19. Prices are still up even after people having spent their check money.

MSRP on a 2005 KX125 was $5,099.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I thought that 3300 looked a bit high.
But does look like a nice specimen.
Interesting comparison that KBB shows KX125 and KDX200 are approx same value. Seems a good ref point.
Do you know if the KX 2T run well, as is? (With say uncorked box, jets & race pipe) or do you have to go to work on them? Not sure I want another $5k mouth to feed.
Doakley, we are pullin hard to see you get more spins on that (affordable) KDX! I counted up yesterday... $4010, so far.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

MX bikes don't have hardly any water-proofing. There is no lid / snorkel. The bottom of the seat is somewhat of a cover.

A stock pipe and silencer would be fine.

The stock KX's would be plenty fine for what you are doing, even small time racing. Sadly, it's the rider, not the bike. Poor me! :-)
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Good to know. I see a couple 2003 for sale Illinois $2k & Utah $1600 (too far to drive). So I’ll keep my eye open. So far I downsized 2 for 1 to buy KDX. I have 2 more I could possibly let go for an MX bike... or could always try the sneak.

Believe me. I know the feeling! Getting passed by some rippers on 85s keeps a guy pretty humble. Finally put my new spring on tonite. Itching to get it set & see if it helps any.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just a heads up.

Right now is close to the worst time to try to sell a bike (COVID-19 not considered). For people where it gets "too cold to ride", why would someone buy one and park it for 6 months?? Also, people are saving extra "play money" for gifts / holidays.

On the other hand, income tax refund time and spring are the hot times to sell and the prices are highest.

If need be, save up to get one that you can go ride instead of one that needs a ton of work before hitting the track. It can be a bummer and winter is coming.

There are kids on 65's that are faster than me. I have fun, but I am not fast!

Report back on the spring. I think you will like it.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Goat wrote: 01:04 pm Nov 17 2020
Dear Stomper,
This is pretty addictive.
Watching 30 Catanzaro vids on YouTube, does give the book-learning involved. But 4-hrs at the group class was what really sunk it in. I want to go for some 1-on-1 also. and need to build at least one MX corner on my property to help get my s*** in a bag.
Rocks and roots are a blast. But so is rush of track speed and flying.
When I started this, a meager 14mo ago, I only went to the MX track because it’s closer than ORV park. And was a handy place for test & tune. I fully intended to ‘keep one on the ground’. Now I’ve built my bike as a tweener and have Doak & KDXG telling me what I already know, “MX bike maybe better for MX.”
I dig! I've watched those Cat... videos too. I've been working really hard on practicing the techniques for all that. We've got a few small jumps built and some interesting terrain features that help. One of the VCHSS races next year has a moto X track as part of the race start - will be interesting. I've got a couple pro and semi-pro level guys I get to ride with some - they are pretty helpful with their pointers too. Definitely fun.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:19 am Nov 18 2020 Report back on the spring. I think you will like it.
Maybe biggest understatement of the century!
I will write up a little report.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250