Handlebar Position/Setup

Have a question about technique?
87KDXTIMP95
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Handlebar Position/Setup

Post by 87KDXTIMP95 »

So I've been practicing standing wheelies. Not only for the cool factor, but because I think crossing giant logs is the coolest thing done on a dirt bike and I want to be good at it. Ha.
Anyways, right now I have the stock KDX220 bars and mounts and all and I like them angled just a hair further forward for better control in the woods. I am right around 6 feet tall, maybe 6'1" with boots and what not.
I am getting ready to do a KX500 fork conversion and I got the Enduro Engineering Bar Risers that move the bars 5/8" up and 5/8" forward. Also Carmichael bend pro taper bars. I wanted the clearance for the conversion, but also lower bend bars to maintain similar grip height and all.
I want to train my body to have good body positioning, bent knees, straight back, and low center of gravity for stability.
I believe this setup, however, interferes with my stability and consistency on standing wheelies. I can't lock in any position.
In videos, the most controlled wheelies I see, the guys are almost standing straight up, with arms almost fully extended for a very consistent and locked in stance. They then just balance by adjusting their butt forward or backward. I'm kind of crouched over and it makes for a weak and inconsistent posture.
My question is: Can angling the bars back a little help to stand up straighter? Does the bar height, with risers and bend and all, effect the ease of wheelies? In my mind it makes sense that it would. I don't want to give up much of my turning control but there is always compromise.

I guess I'm asking, for over 6 foot tall riders, what are your setups?

P.S. The bike has plenty of power, jetting is about perfect, and can pick the tire up in second without touching the clutch. So this is purely technique.
Also I'm doing these wheelies in first and second at a very slow speed, compressing the suspension, then controlled drop of the clutch. Still working on the clutch and throttle control too.
01 KDX220--86 KDX200--07 YZ450F
Dear Kawasaki,
Please bring back the KDX!
Sincerely, Everyone
Pinned

Re: Handlebar Position/Setup

Post by Pinned »

As a general rule of thumb, when you are in your neutral standing position you should be able to grab your handlebars with no bend in your wrist. Anything other than that produces a lot of arm pump.

I had to put 90 mm risers on my bike to have the bar height correct, I'm 6'2". Having your bars set up correctly for your height and body position will only help with wheelies, not hurt it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
ROGERM

Re: Handlebar Position/Setup

Post by ROGERM »

Pinned wrote:As a general rule of thumb, when you are in your neutral standing position you should be able to grab your handlebars with no bend in your wrist. Anything other than that produces a lot of arm pump.

I had to put 90 mm risers on my bike to have the bar height correct, I'm 6'2". Having your bars set up correctly for your height and body position will only help with wheelies, not hurt it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Which 90mm risers did you use?