Deep sand

Have a question about technique?
terminatr

Deep sand

Post by terminatr »

How fast can one safely ride deep sand?

I was going 50 MPH on the road, and I didn't see a big section of deep sand until I was almost on top of it.
I panicked, because I have never ridden sand at that speed, and chopped throttle. The handlebar went crazy. The front wheel is plowing hard. I couldn't keep it straight. I got tossed off the bike. X-ray shows nothing broken. Dr said no riding for couple weeks. But I think I almost broke my neck. I know you're suppose to "gas it". But my instinct took over and made me slow down.

I know my bike isn't setup very well for sand. But I don't think it would have matter.
The front fork with stock spring is lowered 1.5". Race sag with Kuobo link #2 and
stock shock spring is set to 3". I'm a 150 pounder. I'm probably going to raise the front end
some and use a softer rear spring to increase stability.
2001 KDX220
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Deep sand

Post by B737driver »

Shift weight as far back as possible and pin it. You let off the gas the front end plows and you know the result. Oh, and a steering damper really, really helps in the thick stuff.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Fletch

Re: Deep sand

Post by Fletch »

+1 on the damper. Hope you're ok.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
terminatr

Deep sand

Post by terminatr »

The steering head bearing has been loose for a while. Never had time to change or adjust it before the ride. I guess I will change it when I install the suggested damper.

I should be able to afford a steering damper. How does the damper feel when riding tight trails? And how easy is it to install?
2001 KDX220
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I don't know about install because my ktm came with one (scott). Mine is adjustable so I dial it down for tight woods and crank it up for the faster sections. I think most are the same.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Deep sand

Post by B737driver »

I have one on my KDX. Fully adjustable. I tighten it up when riding in the loose stuff. It just helps the bike "track" without slop in the front. The adjustment can be done on the fly to either tighten or loosen depending on the terrain. Not cheap, but worth the $ IMO.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
terminatr

Deep sand

Post by terminatr »

Is the WER steering stabilizer easily transferable to other bike?

I'm not sure how long I will keep my KDX, because I mostly dualsport it only
and it is not good as a dualsporter.

I thinking of getting a CRF 250 L or a KLX 250 S. I would want to be able
to transfer the steering stabilizer to another bike.
2001 KDX220
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Deep sand

Post by B737driver »

I have the Scott's. Very easy to transfer bike to bike. Bolt on post, Scott's upper triple clamp

Live to Fly
Fly to Live
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Riding in Deep sand

Post by blimpman »

I live in Florida and ride a lot of pure sugar sand trails in the Ocala National Forest. Stand up, stay on the throttle, shift weight slightly back which takes the weight off the front wheel a little. Let the bike flow beneath you and grip the tank with your knees which helps stabilize the bike. You will be amazed how you can keep a good pace. Don't fight to keep a strict straight line because you will be fighting the bike and tire easily. Soon as you let off the throttle the front tire will dig so do it slowly.

* It isn't easy so practice and you will have fun with it * :pop:
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
xcracer
Supporting Member

Post by xcracer »

I just got my dirt bike this past spring, but have ridden mountain bikes for years, and I wonder if the methods are transferable. (I have ridden quite a bit of sand on my dirt bike, but never really had issues with it, so I never put thought into how I was riding it).

One method I always used while going fast in loose sand was to lean the mountain bike to the side slightly, and counter-steer just enough to keep you going in a straight line. For some reason, the bike was able to track perfectly straight like this.

I wonder if this works on the dirt bike as well?
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

Cant help you because I have no experience with a Mountain Bike. The leaning left or right does not make sense to me... Sorry.
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
tjg53

Post by tjg53 »

Its more to do with you suspension setup. Sand wants a little stiffer rebound. And maybe softer com. Too. Stiffer will help it steer better.