Faster shifting

Have a question about technique?
KDXrider1989

Faster shifting

Post by KDXrider1989 »

How do the pros do it? I was taught to always pull the clutch in and let off the throttle to shift, get back on the gas and let off the clutch, just all in a fast, smooth motion. But it seems like every time I see an experienced rider on a MX track it's like they don't shift at all. Do they just shift with their foot and don't even pull the clutch in? I thought that would be harsh on the tranny? I'd like to learn how they do it so I'd be able to stay in powerband and not have to reposition myself for an oncoming turn or jump
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I just use the clutch to get moving and that's it. I let off the throttle when shifting up or down though.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I was told that shifting without the clutch is hard on the transmission, is that true?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

No. It's a dog-gearbox so you don't need the clutch.
'00 KDX 220R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I clutchless shift, but most pros will just feather the clutch and shift without lifting the throttle. You'll need to unload the trans, by letting off gas to clutchless shift. When I raced a shifter kart I had a momentary-kill microswitch attached to the shifter, which would cut the ignition for a split second for shifting at wide open throttle. Pro's may use something like this, but I think most just use the clutch real quick w/ two fingers. They use the clutch so much compared to me as a slow woods rider, those two fingers are always at the ready anyway.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Yeah, probably use a hydrolic clutch also to minimize clutch pull. And yeah I remember trying to shift while under throttle but the bike wouldn't, I had to let off the gas like you said
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Unloading the transmission is important but it's not like you have to let right off it all together. Practice some in the yard or easy trail. Try to have the throttle let off about to the point that it will slide right into the next gear and be about the right rpm for that gear at that speed. If you feel like your forcing it than you are. It should shift pretty much the same with or without the clutch if timed right.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Unloading the transmission is important but it's not like you have to let right off it all together. Practice some in the yard or easy trail. Try to have the throttle let off about to the point that it will slide right into the next gear and be about the right rpm for that gear at that speed. If you feel like your forcing it than you are. It should shift pretty much the same with or without the clutch if timed right.
yeah, thanks man. I plan on bringing out the KDX to a track this weekend and see how it goes
asmed12345

Post by asmed12345 »

I do exactly what you have explained, just over time you can get quick at it.
'96 XR 100 ''02 KDX 200
De250r

Re: Faster shifting

Post by De250r »

It naturally wants to shift through the gears as long as its not clunking grinding it will be ok however u do it. I tend to abuse my clutch more than the tranny. It's easier to change the clutch as a posed to shift forks and gears. I shift clutch less in certain situations

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
Live free and ride hard