Hybrid project started

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ladyMXracer232

Hybrid project started

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

So far we picked up the two main ingredients for the hybrid. We will be using the 2004 KX125 frame (i'm not keeping the sidepanel graphics) and a 1994 KDX200 engine.

This 1993 KDX200 was the original donor bike but was it in great shape and hubby didn't want to tear apart. He's going to adopt it as his trail bike. We ended up picking up a 1994 KDX200 with a bad frame and missing plastics for cheap$$ (engine was great). I know most people used a post 1995 engine. I'm currently racing the 1993 KDX200 locally in MX as a beginner Vet.

Anybody else use a pre 95 KDX engine?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is going to be a HOT setup... I am jealous... :evil:

The "E" engine is arguably the best incarnation of the KDX motors...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've seen both E and H series used with equally good results. Good luck on the build and your going to have a nice setup when its all done.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I used a 94 in my CR hybrid. Works fine. If you can though, use a 95+ pipe as they fit the mx frame much better. My 94 FMF Fatty took some convincing/welding/cutting/bending because of the high rise. It wanted to go through the radiator.
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:I used a 94 in my CR hybrid. Works fine. If you can though, use a 95+ pipe as they fit the mx frame much better. My 94 FMF Fatty took some convincing/welding/cutting/bending because of the high rise. It wanted to go through the radiator.
We have a post 95 stock pipe that we got from ebay. The 94 KDX came with a FMF Fatty so we got to ride it before the tear down. I don't know if it was the combination of the FMF and the Boyeson Rad valve...but it hit like my old CR250 which is what I don't want right now. I want smooth power. At least we know we can make it faster later on with some more mods. I've been racing my 1993 KDX200 "as is" in MX and love the smooth power...smoother than my husbands 4 stroke. I race in the Vet beginner classes. I rode through monster ruts last weekend and tractored right through them :grin: .

The engine is out of the KX and motor mounts are being cut off right now. We got some KDX parts trying to sell on ebay and the 125 engine will be next. I've got to find a local place for sandblasting and powder coating. We talked to a local race shop and they gave us some phone #'s. We've got a buddy that will be doing the welding for us. My hubby is going to do the swingarm cutdown and engine reaming himself. I don't understand Ebecks instructions but I'm glad my husband does.

I saw pictures of your CR hybrid. It was awesome. :prayer: All the pictures of the hybrids were great. I sat on my KX125 today and can't wait until it's done.
THill

Post by THill »

Hey keep us posted on how it's going :supz:
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
THill wrote:Hey keep us posted on how it's going :supz:
Engine mount brackets will be welded on tomorrow. KX250 silencer, Pivot works Swingarm bearings will be ordered this week. I've got to buy hubby some tools and stuff he's got on a list tomorrow. He's pretty excited and spent the whole day in the garage.

We might make this a 2 stage process because he's going faster than I can get $$ for parts. I thought I would have 6 weeks but he might progress faster than that. When we sell the 125cc engine I should be good. We divided the list to "must have" and "can get later" We'll probably get the frame powder coated at a later date...might just do some touch ups for now with a frame guard. Maybe also new plastics and graphics at a later date. I did take the naked chick decals off the sidepanel today.

Has anyone used a pipe guard and who makes them? I saw online that Moose Racing makes a universal. The stock pipe we are getting from ebay is used and has some dents.
art5

Post by art5 »

i have seen these done before, you put a different motor in the 125 frame :shock:
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Someone is gonna be alot faster at the races pretty soon. :supz:
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

Mike cutting the swingarm.

One side done, one more too go.

KDX200 engine getting bath in parts washer. Our buddy Dave is helping.

Naked KX (very messy garage) There is 6 motorcycles and 2 airplanes in our double-car garage.
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:Someone is gonna be alot faster at the races pretty soon. :supz:
I sure hope so :grin: I should be riding the KX200 for the Spring series. :boogie:
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

(Naked KX (very messy garage) There is 6 motorcycles and 2 airplanes in our double-car garage)

A proper garage then! Should be everyone's first accessory :lol: , small fridge to the side for beverages and a tv for the games :partyman: Perfect place to spend the winter getting ready for spring.
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
marrk_us wrote:(Naked KX (very messy garage) There is 6 motorcycles and 2 airplanes in our double-car garage)

A proper garage then! Should be everyone's first accessory :lol: , small fridge to the side for beverages and a tv for the games :partyman: Perfect place to spend the winter getting ready for spring.
If I put a fridge, couch, and a urinal in the garage I would never see my husband. One of the airplanes (RV8) is getting ready to go so more room for more bikes :grin: Of course our winter (AZ) is the best time to ride.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

WOW JEALOUS!!!! The RV8 is a sweet ride.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Looking good so far. If you don't mind, I started a post to compare the weights of stock vs hybrid bikes. I was interested in the weight savings of hybrids and of the different hybrids to see which ones give the best weight drop.
ladyMXracer232

project con't

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

Swingarm on.

New mounts

New mounts

KDX200 engine is in :grin:

Frame is painted. Getting closer to having a KX200 :boogie: We will powdercoat the frame at a later time when I get new plastics and graphics. I wanna ride!!!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Lookin good girl!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:Lookin good girl!
Thanks!!! Hubby's doing all the work :grin:
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Looks good.
ladyMXracer232

almost done

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

Bike is getting closer to completion. He got the KDX 200 stock pipe on yesterday after some cutting/welding/banging. The KX250 FMF Shorty silencer looks awesome. The neighbors are probably pissed but we fired up the engine last night :grin: IT'S ALIVE!!!! He also made brackets for the rear head stay. There is no front head stay on the 1994 KDX engine so nothing needed to be done with that part.

Mike is stating that getting the pipe to fit was the hardest part of the project so far for him. I don't know what's left to be done but I will post more pictures today.

Good news: we were able to sell most of our leftover KDX parts and the KX125 engine (motor, carb, electronics) this week on ebay. The 125 complete engine sold as a "buy now" in less than 24 hours of being posted :supz: .