What is the best kdx/hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
backkraker

What is the best kdx/hybrid

Post by backkraker »

Looking to get an mx frame and put a kdx motor in. Which mx bike year and size and which kdx motor year and size?????

Joe
Air cooled is cool
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I'm no expert since I haven't done one, but just from following some of the projects here it seems that an '03 KX125 is supposed to be the hot ticket. Maybe some of the hybrid owners will add more .
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

You realize you have to cut and weld, no direct bolt in exists...
backkraker

Post by backkraker »

Just how much cut and welding? I have some fabrication experience. Thanks for the reply.

Joe :razz: :cool:
Air cooled is cool
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

have you read the stickies on the top of this forum?
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

I'm almost done with my hybrid (00' KDX220 engine in an 01' KX125 chassis). I can't give you riding impressions yet, but I can tell you about construction. It's not bad. :mrgreen: ebecks wright up on this forum is pretty comprehensive and there where only a few clarifications needed during the build. One item to note is that you really need to do your own measurements when it comes to cutting the swingarm. The ones on the diagram posted here are very close, and would probably work just fine, but I'm kinda anal about this sort of thing and found that not only where my parts a little different from the figures listed here, they where slightly different left-to-right.

I used an 01' chassis because I found one with a license plate, and because initially it looked to be the easier conversion (common front head-stay).
After watching art5 and ebecks 03' bikes come together, as well as doing my 01' I now believe that the 03' is the better bet.
Here's why: The 03' seems to have slightly better chassis geometry. Also, the gas tank is shaped differently and doesn't drop down in the rear like the 01' This means you've got a lot more freedom for a large tank without excessive re-shaping of the plastic. (this makes me a little nervous). Oh, and there is much greater aftermarket support for the 03' KX125. For instance, the trick promotobillit kickstand on ebecks 03' bike isn't available for the 01'.

Just my two cents.
Michael
00'/01' KX/KDX220R Hybrid
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yeah, definitly measure your own swingarm. The diagram I have is reference. I have e both, th e03 definitly turns better but the 02 is more comfortrable. The 03 is also harder to do than the 02 though.

If you were gonna do this and hada access to 03+ parts I'd say do that. 99-02 parts are easier to get though. The 02 still makes the KDX feel old and slow. It is no slouch, it is just that the 03 is a substantial change from the 99-02. Those were really a freshening of the mid 90's bikes where the 03 is completly new.

Remember the 99-02 KX125 won championships. :supz:
backkraker

Post by backkraker »

ebeck, magilla, jc7622, thanks for all the great info I will check out the stickies. I'm sure I will have more questions. Oh yea, ebeck just how good is your hybrid?
Joe :lol:
Air cooled is cool