CR years matter?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
SVandal

CR years matter?

Post by SVandal »

I have the older style rear mount engine head and figured I am best off using the CR as the honda frame appears to have always used a rear/top mount. What I am wondering is if it is worth it to get the aluminum frame over the steel frame. I have found rolling chassis or complete bikes of both kinds and was wondering if it is worth the extra 2-300 for the aluminum frame. Does this create any more difficulties over the steel frame?

On a side question, has anyone looked at stuffing the kdx engine into a cr85 big wheel? Wonder if it would even fit or how the handling would be.

Thanks for the help, I am looking forward to doing this conversion in the next year, maybe this summer when it is too hot to ride:).
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Service Hoda puts CR250 motors into CR85's so I bet he KDX motor will fit too.

I have an 02 and 03 KX KDX hybrid. 02 uss front had staay and 03 uses rear head stay. Not much difference really but rear head stay was more work as front head stay lined up.

I know of at least 2 aluminum frame KDX hybrids so it is not harder. Get what you like I'd say.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I was looking at some of the service honda bikes. Did they modify the frame at all to stiffen it up for a larger engine and rider? Would a cr80/85 big wheel handle a rider wieghing more than 220lbs with gear? Curious as to how well it would take the punishment.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I think it would as long as you are not hitting big jumps. For dune and single track it would be great.

I do not see any reinforcments on the Service Honda bikes. Call em, get the details then do it your self! :supz: