something different

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
coley13

something different

Post by coley13 »

hi all, new here.

has anyone looked into fitting 2000 kx plastics tank, seat etc to the later model kdx frames. (with some modifications of course). i havnt found any info of such doing a search.

the only reason i ask this is i live in australia and would need the kdx frame for compliance and registration purposes, with a kx frame i have know way of registering it.

cheers craig
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

anything's possible, with work, talent, time, money and effort.
Why don't you use the kdx tank??? The KX are smaller aren't they?
I'm confused as to what you wanna do there...
Usually it goes the other way around: fit a kdx tank in a kx frame, (heat gun and a pipe are usually used to make it fit), so can't see any reason not to do the other way around: kx tank in a kdx frame

Welcome to the site :partyman:
wilf
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I know the 99-02 KX tank does not fit in the KDX frame. I trid. Now you may be able to cut it and plastic weld it but neer went that far.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:I know the 99-02 KX tank does not fit in the KDX frame. I trid. Now you may be able to cut it and plastic weld it but neer went that far.
with the tank not fitting is that the width? is the kdx frame narrower? or is it hitting on something elsewhere?

looking at http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/Ka ... 00H313.gif
does the tank hit on the cross brace near the shock mount. looking at the kx frames it looks further back near the bends in the top frame rail.

i was thinking if it's a width issue i'll can the project but if it's a matter of some light metal fabrication i'd persist with it.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yes rear frame x brase is a big issue. It has been done before btw so it can be done.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

thankyou for you replies, i dont mind doing some light fabrication work. the width of the perimeter frame was what had me worried.

cheers craig
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

That part is easy, a heat gun will make it squeeze in. Good luck, post it up when done!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

My 03 KX125 tank look like it could fit the KDX. 99-02 tank, no way. The 03 maybe...